Gun Smithing Career

Woolecox

How is the course going. I've been thinking about taking it .
What do you think of the course.

Thanks
Ramp

Hey Ramp, the course is going pretty well. I am learning a lot. There is more to know and more to learn than I could have ever imagined. And then there is developing your skills (if required) such as machining, welding, wood working etc. It will take a long time to get proficient.

As far as the course goes, it is not bad but could be better. The CD videos are re-mastered from old VCR tapes. The quality is marginal at best. They are indexed so you can look up topics pretty quickly. But some of the indexes are a jumbled up mess. You will have several "tapes" on one CD and several indexes per tape. Not too bad once you get it figured out.

Indexes of the CD's are critical because you will spend a lot of time searching for the answers to their cryptic test questions. It seems the test questions don't closely follow the class material and there is a lot of hocus pocus trickery in the questions. This is something that I have already complained about.

I called the main number to get some clarification on several questions. The guy they sent me too did not know the answers. He said he would have to look them up and call me back. He never did. He acted kind of condescending and aggravated about me calling. I would have like to have gotten my hands around his neck. I will make it an issue before sending in the test. You must score 80% or better to pass.

AGI is good but could be better. There is a lot of information and techniques presented and you will get a good education if you make the effort. And you always have the CD's for future reference. Is it the best home correspondence out there? I don't know.

AGI could spend a little money and make it perfect by doing this:

1. Re-shoot the lessons in hi-def video. It's critical that you get a clear close look at the parts.
2. Knock off the BS with the testing. Present the material you want me to learn and test me on it.
3. Get some better tech support.

I hope you go for it in some way. We need more good qualified gunsmiths in this country. They are a dying breed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts