Gun smith in central pa anyone?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by TheDeicide, Dec 7, 2012.

1. TheDeicide

TheDeicide Active Member

I've found a handful of smiths within 100 miles of me, but I can't find any reference to them on this forum to gather reviews. I live on the Clearfield/Centre county line. I've heard mention of Russells in Dubois, and Ted Ulmer in Spring Mills. There are others in the area. For obvious reasons, I don't want to spend a bundle of money having a gun modified by some one less than competent. The work I want done is swapping a barrel to convert 300 RUM Sendero to a 338 RUM and a break added perhaps. I've had issues with the scope mounting done by Grice gun shop on numerous occasions, so I would have the smith take care of that while he's at it.

2. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

If you don't mind a little drive, try kevin Cram he is a site sponsor!

Montour County Rifles
    216 Shultz Road
    Danville, PA 17821

kevin@mcrifles.com

(570) 437-2010

3. TheDeicide

TheDeicide Active Member

I could drive to Danville if needed. It's almost exactly 100 miles. Driving a bit farther to deal with a reputable smith vs staying close and risking an unknown is sometimes cheaper in the long run.

4. timl

timl Well-Known Member

PM sent.

5. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

Use Kevin Cram with 100% confidence!!! Kevin built my dad a 6-06AI that not only shoots like a lazer but is a beautiful rifle as well. Like some of the other smiths I've used on this site, Kevin is excellent!

6. timl

timl Well-Known Member

Delete post, sent pm.

7. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

this

8. peashooter

peashooter Well-Known Member

The one and a half hour drive to MCR would be time well spent. Kevin has built several rifles for me and I am well satisfied. He is finishing a 260AI for me now. I drive 5+ hours to pick up my rifle. Kevin is great to work with and a craftsman at his trade.

9. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Another endorsement for Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles. I live in Missouri and have shipped stuff to him on three different occasions. Very satisfied with both the quality of the work and the customer service.