Gun shows RANT !!

Went to one this past weekend and found a used VSSF(?) .308 w/ Loopy 4.5-14 VXIII well used. Sticker said $1475. Finally found the booth owner and he began his spill on the "gnats ***", cause he could hit one at 100 yds every shot. The accuracy I dont doubt, but the price? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I asked what he would take without the scope and with a Para 1911SSP in trade. Then the real shock. he'd take $425 off for the beat up scope and weaver rings. Thats over $1000 for the rifle alone!!! The bad thing is some poor sap probably bought it oblivious to its actual value.
All I get from a gunshow is aggrivation and higher blood pressure.

I found the only way to go, get your dealer buddy to get you in free as a worker, then set up at the entrance to buy the deals as they walk in the door. I bought some old stinky colts real reasonable!
Best gunshow stories:
1.Guy walks up with a remmy 870 on his back and looks at one of the 8000 dollar Pedro Baretta side by sides and asks "Why's this shotgun so much more expensive than mine?" My reply was "nothing"
2.A guy walks up an points at a 308 tube gun and tells his boy "that's the gun I carried in vietnam, I spent 3 years sleeping with a rifle just like that" Looks at the price tag "these things are expensive now" He asks me who made this one..."remington"...I didn't know they made M16's...."they don't" I tried everything I could to keep this guy from making himself look like an *** in front of his son.

The food is the best reason to go. Next reason would be to make fun of some of the freaks that crawl out from under their rock to see the purdy guns! I need to go back next time one's in town, There's a Tikka LSA-55 mag in that pile somewhere!

I can tell you a lot of stories about good gun shows. However I'd be talking about the ones I went to 20 or 30 years ago.
Today it's like a gypsy flea market.
I also like to listen to the s&@$ that comes out of the mouths of the experts at the big box stores.

Best to support your local shops

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.