Gun oil??

KQguy

I alway's use good solvent's for cleaning my bore,but how important are gun oil's once the barrell is clean?I have alway's just used whatever Wal-mart has laying on the shelf.No one seems to talk much about oils,I was wondereing if there is much to be gained from using one oil versus another,as far as bore care is concerened.

Thanks AJ,I would have never thought break free would have performed so well as a protective lubricant.I think I will have to buy some this weekend at the gun show.

I like Rem oil. It also has teflon in it which is an excellent lube and doesnt attract dust.

Also, after I clean my barrels I run a oiled patch down the bore just before I foul the barrel. This lubes the barrel and you dont get near the copper gauling in the barrel on the first shot. Once powder fouled, the fouling helps a bit against copper fouling. You cant eliminate copper fouling, but you can slow it down. This is one of the best ways I have found to slow it down. I get about twice the shots in my barrels between cleanings than if I didnt lube the barrels prior to fouling.

Note: The oils I use are always light weight and the first shots chrony about 100-150 FPS slower than the second and third foul shots. Heavier oils may generate extra pressure. I wouldnt advise using a heavy oil or grease.

I do remember seeing it at Wal Mart,I just never realised the stuff was that good.

Breakfree CLP is what the US Army was, and maybe still is, using.

"CLP" stands for Cleans, Lubricates, Protects.

However, I would recommend running a patch of Hoppes #9 powder solvent just prior to fouling shots as it helps make the cold bore shot fall into the group. If your interested in that kind of stuff.

Personally, I like "Tetra Gun" oil, even tho it stinks to high heaven.
It works great when fresh, but tends to gum after about a year.

HTH.

The army is still using CLP, I think they have some sort of deal with them were they get a percent on the profits from them selling the stuff because we use it. Thats all you here when you go to qualifications is use CLP, don't forget your CLP. Anyway CLP is crap when it comes to cleaning but it does a good job keeping your barrel from rusting. I like using Shooters Choice solvent and Rem Oil, they keep my barrels looking new.

In my rifles I use Kroil oil as it is very light and it also penertrates to give good coverage. The excess appears to be easy to remove before shooting. I also read recently a 50:50 blend of Kroil and Hoppe 9 Solvent is recommended so i my give that a try.

KQguy,
I have been using a 50:50 mixture of Kroil Oil and Marvel Mystery Oil for years. One patch, about half saturated with this mixture and then about three or four dry patches to clean it out. That Kroil is low viscosity stuff and really gets into the pores. I use it on my CM and SS barrels during break in. They seem to clean up much quicker once seasoned, especially the SS barrels. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.