GS Moly Coated Bullets

Mark,
What would be the tightest twist barrels readily available in .284 and .270? That would determine how long the bullet can be and how high the BC can go.

Never under estimate the capability of a well designed expanding mono. We have seen that a 40gr HV from a 22-250 is capable of reliably taking game in the 500lb class at distances to 400m. On record we have 17 Gemsbok and 2 Black Wildebeest. All these shots were pass throughs as well.

The longest shot we know of with a 7mm RM and the 130gr HV was taken on a Black Wildebeest at just over 700m, also a pass through. We have a number of 500 to 600m shots with that combination on Kudu.

These shots were taken by professional hunters or men who shoot game for a living for market.

According to Lilja's site, a 7 twist is the tightest for the 284 and an 8 twist for the 277. My use would be non dangerous game from a down range velocity of 1600 fps and up. Checking your site, it looks like you are calling for an 8 twist for the 284/140?

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Caliber and Twist Rates

I ran the numbers on the 284/140 HV using an MV of 3700 fps (7mm RUM) with a BC of .480 @ 3000 ft elevation and found the momentum at 1000 yds to be about 38 ftlbs. That seems marginal to me for good penetration on a 900 lb elk, but I dont know for sure, just a guess on my part. Also, a Berger 180 gr bullet launched at 3200 fps, with a BC of .659 will get to 1000 yds with 50 ftlbs of momentum and will get to 1150 yds with 1800 fps+ (minimum expansion vel) and 46 ftlbs of momentum. So for a 284 cal bullet, that's the go to bullet at the moment for me.

Never under estimate the capability of a well designed expanding mono. We have seen that a 40gr HV from a 22-250 is capable of reliably taking game in the 500lb class at distances to 400m. On record we have 17 Gemsbok and 2 Black Wildebeest. All these shots were pass throughs as well.

That is quite the performance for a 40 gr bullet. If I posted this on another forum I know of, it would rufflle a few feathers :D

This is the Black Wildebeest taken at a ranged 345m with a 22-250 and a 40gr HV. I realise it is not a long shot in your terms but it points to what can be done.

swb2.jpg

The bullet entered on the shoulder

swb1entrance.jpg

went into the thoracic cavity at the second rib

swb1entrance2.jpg

punched through the top of the heart

swb1heart.jpg

and exited at the fourth rib.

swb1exit.jpg

Nice pass through with good damage where it matters.

swb1inside.jpg

I will keep the thinking cap handy and take a serious look at expanding long range bullets towards the end of the year. The current project is to finish up the SP range and do some field work on game with them.

Last edited:
Gerard,

It has been two days and I haven't heard back from Gina yet. Is she not available to answer emails?

James

GS HV's 100gr in my 257Wby Accumark shooting very well and consistently also the 150gr GS HV in my Mark V Custom shooting very well.

257Wby Accumark
IMG_7942.jpg

IMG_7946.jpg

IMG_7941.jpg

Mark V Custom 30-06
IMG_7987.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

The 06 does shoot the Sierra HPBT a tad better at 2933fps

IMG_7985.jpg

Gerard,

Thanks for all your input. I would definitely like to try some of your bullets, but would need to get a barrel for them. There's a chance I may get a 7mm - 338 Lapua put together this summer and if I do, I'll get a 7 or 7/12 twist for it and it will probably be about 27" long.

Best of success with your testing and development. I'll be in touch if I need some bullets.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Yea, a friend told me to come and read this thread on the GS and I saw that you started the tread and so I posted the results of the 257Wby and the 30-06 using the GS. I posted here a long time ago when I came here to ask a question which the guys on this forum were more than able to answer. Lots of good stuff on this forum. Been reading on it now for over an hour.

James,
We are both a bit backlogged on email but I will ask her to look out for it.

I think I need to visit here regularly, there is much to learn here.

Thanks.

I think I need to visit here regularly, there is much to learn here.

Gerard

Those are very nice autopsy pictures that allow the reader to see exactly what occurred with the animal. People here could learn some things from you.

It is also interesting to have hunting reports from some of the other continents.

Gentlemen,

Here is a picture of the GS Custom SP bullet in ca. .338 this is a 232 grn version well suited for a rifle with a 1:10 twist.

Cheers,

Master Diver

338232SP1.jpg

338232SP2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.