GS Custom 120HV Bullets tested at over 600 yrds

stevet

Well, I finally got to test the GS Custom 120 HVs out of my .284 STAK (300 Dakota, necked down & improved, similar to Rolands 7mmRHB). At 100 yards my groups were consistent at 3/8" which was not quite as tight as the 140 or 160 Accubonds, BUT last night I shot the 120s at 613 yrds with my 3 shot group being 1 1/8" center to center. The math says that's well under 1/4" MOA. The best I ever shot with the accubonds was 6 1/5" at 650 yrds. Needless to say we were quite impressed with these GS Bullets. When I got home I ordered another 100 bullets and will be testing them at 800-900 yrds. I wish they weren't so expensive ($140.00 airmail shipping included) but I can't wait to go shoot them again. I would send a photo of the group if I knew how.

Load data is as follows:

78 grains of RL 22
3730 fps.
27.5" shillen 1-9" twist contour #5
Ziess 4.5-14X50 scope

I'll let you know how the next tests go. Will be trying to determine BC but right now it appears it's around .4

Good shooting,

Steve

Stevet, Wow that's sounds like an impressive load. What is the BC of these bullets. 120grn Bullets at 3750fps, that is an awesome varmint combo.

Wildcat

Wildcat, we are still trying to figure out true BC. We're using the xball program in unison with shooting different distances to figure it out. Right now it appears to be around .4. GS Bullets are small in weight and BC by comparison to Berger Bullets or Wildcat Bullets, but I like the solid copper bullets for hunting, and if they fly that well......then it's a no brainer for me. Definitely a different philosophy than the big, long, high BC bullet. I'll keep you informed on the testing.

Best, Steve

I ordered them on their website, and yes I'm from Utah, U.S.A. Gina, who I believe is the owner of the company that her father founded, was very good at coresponding with me via email about how long it would take for me to receive them. It took them (GS Custom) about 10 days to manufacture the bullets (as they didn't have them in stock) and about three weeks to get them to me via airmail from South Africa. So, total time was a bit over a month from order to delivery. She emailed me after my recent order and said it would only be a couple of days to manufacture the bullets so I expect them under a month. Personally, I wouldn't have them sent any other way than airmail. They seem very busy trying to keep up on orders and I don't know if they regularly have the 120 HVs in stock. I've got enough bullets to get me through the delivery of the next order so no worries. If you can afford them you should give them a try. I'm confident even at this early stage of testing they will be very accurate out of most rifles. 800-900 yards next week and I'm really hoping for the same experience. Remember they have requirements for specific barrel twists for each bullet. Mine is a 1 in 9" and I believe 1 in 9.5" is considered the slowest for those bullets.

Best, Steve

Well, I finally got to test the GS Custom 120 HVs out of my .284 STAK (300 Dakota, necked down & improved, similar to Rolands 7mmRHB). At 100 yards my groups were consistent at 3/8" which was not quite as tight as the 140 or 160 Accubonds, BUT last night I shot the 120s at 613 yrds with my 3 shot group being 1 1/8" center to center. The math says that's well under 1/4" MOA. The best I ever shot with the accubonds was 6 1/5" at 650 yrds. Needless to say we were quite impressed with these GS Bullets. When I got home I ordered another 100 bullets and will be testing them at 800-900 yrds. I wish they weren't so expensive ($140.00 airmail shipping included) but I can't wait to go shoot them again. I would send a photo of the group if I knew how.

Load data is as follows:

78 grains of RL 22
3730 fps.
27.5" shillen 1-9" twist contour #5
Ziess 4.5-14X50 scope

I'll let you know how the next tests go. Will be trying to determine BC but right now it appears it's around .4

Good shooting,

Steve
Did you determine the BC yet? I use their 330 gr GS from my 416 WBY at 3100 fps and it is accurate.

Not yet POP, I'll be shooting long again this coming week. I'll post my results soon. Steve

Got out again to shoot further and was only able to go to 745 yards. I was using an inferior rest sytem compared to last outing but the best 3 shot group was 4 1/2". The other group was 1/2" bigger. These bullets seem to be very consistent and I believe with a steadier rest I can cut an inch or so off the small group. The new shipment of bullets only took three weeks to get here. Can't wait to use them on deer this year.

Best, Steve

Dave, if I understand what you mean I totally agree. But, for curiosity sake, I believe it's a bit over .4. I won't be taking shots on game at over 600 yards most likely, depending on the available rest, so what difference does the BC make??? Is that what you mean?? Steve

Hi, regarding the GS HV bullets: I spoke to someone at the manufacturing plant (I forgot his name, it was a while ago) and when I asked about the BC of the 7mm 130 gr HV bullet, he said that one should use G5 tables to get good results from a ballistcs calculator. He calculated the BC for that bullet to be approx. .57 @3400 fps

Did you determine the BC yet? I use their 330 gr GS from my 416 WBY at 3100 fps and it is accurate.

I have tested the 160 HV and 173 HV bullets for BC. They are very accurate. However, they fly like bricks. The BCs I got when shooting over two chronographs indicated the 173 HVs were in the area of .341 G1. Additionally, they had way more drop at 400 yards when sighted at 100 yards than a 150gr Nolser Ballistic tip. If they would stick a polymer tip on the bullet, then they would be hard to beat. I made up some with tips but scrapped the plan since they were so expensive.

The Lost river bullets would fly but not expand reliably. If you could take the tips from the lost river bullets and apply to the GS Custom bullets, then you would have a winner. Until someone with reliable supplies of aero-slick expandable bullets beats the accubonds, I will stick with them.

I have the long range shooting sticks, I am just waiting on some good bullets that can be had relatively easy. The Canadian bullet maker won't respond to my emails for orders.

Chawlston

Last edited by a moderator:
TippedTSX.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.