Grouse Guns?

Hey 1100 Rem Man,
Don't get an attitude about a man putting food on the table. I am a very good wingshot but if I can take the head off a grouse with my 20 or 12 gauge without splattering bb's all over the body I will do it. Clean kills for tablefare. I would take grouse over almost any game animal for supper. Going for bear and grouse this weekend. Will kill them by any legal method.
Just my opinion,
Kirk

I've been running my Ruger Red Label 28ga. and Weatherby "bolt" Mk XXII for near all my Grouse hunting. They work great.

I have been using my Remington 887 Nitro 12ga or my Ruger 10/22.

cant really go wrong with a reliable 12ga, and if you are up to the challenge of head shots, cant beat the ruger with a match grade barrel.....

TKS
JPB

I use a nice older Rem 870 express 20 gauge with 26" barrel for grouse, rabbit etc. This one is old enough to have been built when they still cared, not like some of the later expresses that have problems.

The honest scratches and scars from hunting in the thicker stuff just add character to this blue collar gun.

If I did the same to a fancy shiny gun it would drive me nuts.

20 gauge, Model 870 Light Weight, with 26" Imp Cyl choke. The open choke greatly improved my success rate whenever the foliage was so heavy that my point of aim was in the direction of where the ruffed grouse was last observed.

well to start the season grousing i shoot the first couple with my 300wsm. just to make sure its shooting where its supposed to be. take there heads off and then get old painless out. my remington 870 express with the turkey choke on. yes i shoot em on the ground. the forests are thick here in wa state. aim at or above there heads with #6 shot. you would be amazed at the lack of pellets in the breasts. my brown lab takes over from there.

Gentlemen this is a game of sport using a shotgun and I shoot all birds in the "air". I shoot turkeys in Missouri on the ground, not in the roost OK.

My favorite pheasant gun is a 16 ga Belgium Browning with full choke. My favorite quail gun is a Remington 1100 in 20 ga. English stock, using improved mod choke.

I use my Benjamin Marauder Pistol in .22 caliber wearing it's carbine stock to take grouse heads off while archery hunting. I have turned my kids, my neighbor, and other friends on to taking them this way too. It is a quiet way to harvest camp meat while hunting for big game.

Jay

If I just have to take a generic shotgun in the field for Grouse, I either take my Browning BSS in 12 gauge (the one with the English stock). Or I'd take my Beretta A390 in 20 gauge. I've used 870's, 1100's, and Beretta A series autos in the past. None are perfect for sure. Sometimes I take a 12 gauge O/U, and it works better than the others. But my all time favorite is a cheap 20 gauge O/U that I've owned for thirty years. Patterns well with everything from eights up to fours. It's a true box lock with a double bead rib. My only complaint is that it's a 20 gauge instead of a 16 gauge or 28 gauge.

The best bird gun is a 16 gauge SS built on a 20 gauge frame. Stocked with an English cut, and a splinter fore end. In other words a Bernadelli Hemingway
gary

Gentlemen this is a game of sport using a shotgun and I shoot all birds in the "air". I shoot turkeys in Missouri on the ground, not in the roost OK.

My favorite pheasant gun is a 16 ga Belgium Browning with full choke. My favorite quail gun is a Remington 1100 in 20 ga. English stock, using improved mod choke.

Grouse taste so good that a sitting grouse is a gift from GOD.

when I get a chance to get out bird hunting (lately it's been next to never as I am working too much) I use my Winchester sx2 3.5" with 2 3/4" field loads. If the birds are out there I'll switch to a turkey choke and hand loaded buffered #3's (or bigger). That'll knock a rooster or grouse on it's butt out past 80 yards if you are up to it. I've even knocked a few down around the 100 yard mark. I really do not care if they are flying or sitting when I shoot them, but the bounce when they hit the deck from a wing shot sure is satisfying.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.