group sizes

what kind of groups do you need(in inches)at 100yrd. to be able to take 1000+ yrd. shots at game.also do you ever see better groups at 200yrds. than at 100.i get 1" at 100yd with my 338wm with 250mk and .75" with 300um with 220mk.i feel real good to 500 but would like to go further someday.in a perfect world with these group sizes how far out is my shooting currently good for.

Rod

I have a safety factor built into the factor I use for determining max distance. I'll shoot no further that which allows a buffer equal to the size of my froups (accuracy). For example, if I can shoot 1 MOA groups at all ranges I take the kill zone size and divide it in half, this gives me the max distance for that critter, deer at 18", half this size in 9" so max range for me and the rifle is 900 yards.

Many folks have reported groups at longer ranges being smaller than their 100 yard groups.

Dave, How do you figure a deer has an 18" kill zone? I think an average deer is 18-20" from shoulder to brisket. with a kill zone roughly the size of a basketball(10"..??)Do you consider any hit it that part of the body a killing hit?

Not trying to be a smartass, genuinely curious. MM

MM

No, I don't figure 18 for a deer, I guess I got distracted and just "blurted" out that 18 thinking 900 yards.

The deer I have in this area are small, probably 16 inches brisket to back so about 14 inches kill zone (I'm generous). Over the backbone is not a kill but shoot out the bottom of the rib cage (not brisket) is.

Factors remain the same even for the "regular" not "jumbo" size deer.

Sorry.

MM

I like it, I kind of miss having a bipod attachment point but I'll become proficient at shooting over a pack someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.