grooves?

Tikkamike

I am about to order a barrel for a 6.5x284 build but I was wondering about number of grooves and how the more or less grooves affects bullets or barrel life? what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? or is it like like the button/cut rifeling debate?

or is it like like the button/cut rifeling debate?

lol, probably. I have no solid facts to offer, but here is what I have seen with the new barels I have ordered over the years.

The most accurate 30's I have are 5 C's from Broughton.

The 6 land Hart on the 7mm-300 is an awesome barrel and I have another of those going together plus a spare on the shelf.

I have a 4 land Kreiger on my 6 br and it works very well. But I also had a 6 land Shaw on a 6mm- 284 that shot well with small bullets.

The only bad barrel I have ever bought was a 4 land in 30 cal.

I have heard lately that some guys are doing .338's with 3 land Liljas that are tac drivers. But have not seen this first hand.

So, to me. I feel it has something to do wit bore size. Since you are doing a 6.5, if it were me, I would be looking at the 6 land Harts or maybe a 5C Broughton.

Hope this helps and does not add to the confusion.

Jeff

HAHA Broz im actually more confused now! I have a Krieger on my 338 and its a tackdriver, I mean it is rediculous, so I am thinking I will just do another Krieger, this is only my second custom so I am really hoping this experience is as good as my last.

I have read a few discussions on this topic as relates to bullets coming apart at generally *HIGH* velocity. Take 1 type of chamber (lets say 6XC) and drive the bullets real hard. Do this with a few different TYPES of barrels. Some of them Button, Some Single Point Cut, keep the outer dimensions the same, actions the same, and of course barrel Length the same. One barrel may be a 3 groove, the next a 4, 5, 6, 7, ect. The bullet deformation caused by the Land / Groove TYPE and contact area deforming the bullet has a measurable effect on approximately when (in fps) the bullet will explode mid flight.

It seems as though 5, 6, 7 groove barrels, whether CUT or Buttoned, generally seem to allow higher FPS before the bullets will grenade in mid flight on you. For me, this would be ONE of the bigger deciding factors on this topic. Cut Vs. Buttoned.... I have chatted with Boots, Gary Schnider, Tim at Broughton, The fine folks at Kreiger, and the fellah's at Bartlien. One thing they will pretty much all tell you is, "it is mostly situational" they both have their pluses and minuses... just go shoot :)

Have a good one,
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts