Grizzly G4003G

rscott5028

I've seen Grizzly lathes referenced in other threads here and was wondering if anyone had strong opinions about the G4003G model before I squeeze the trigger.

I'm not really looking to do a bunch of commercial work. I mainly want to true an action or two and rebarrel a couple of rifles of my own.

I've done some lathe work years ago, but without any formal training.

Thanks in advance!
Richard
progress.gif

In case anyone is interested, I happened to be at the Shilen factory yesterday and learned that they use a Grizzly 4xxx lathe for some of their work.

I figure if it's good enough for them, it'll suit my needs if used correctly.

-- richard

There seems to be a slight threading anomaly with the 4003g but a guy on BenchrestCentral has a fix. My father in law had the head stock of one last month boring out something and installing bushings and better lube ports in some area, not sure the details but it works good other than that.

I have machined around 250+ barrels on mine and have never heard a complaint about accuracy. Most are shooting way better than the shooters.

Sounds like the machine is capable.
I'll just have to hold up my end.
Thanks!!!

Drain the oil from the headstock, make sure it is squeaky clean and completely free of chips, check the tension on the headstock bearings, make sure the bearing lube holes are clear, refill with the recommended oil, "then" run the break in as recommended in the manual.

It should do a fine job for you. There is a bunch of good information on this lathe on the gunsmithing forum at benchrestcentral.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.