Grizz and the .300 RUM

sure shot

How is it going fells. A spring Grizzly hunt may be lined up for me this year in AK a guy might be backing out of a per planed trip (unplanned baby on the way) and I will be sliding into his place not sure on any of the details yet as it would be my first trip to AK. Question is would any of you experienced bear hunters feel under gunned if possible with a .300 RUM for big bears as this is the biggest rifle I own. Would a 200gr Accubound backed by a full house of Retumbo at around 3200fps be adequate or should it be stepped up to a 220gr Partition or X bullet. I may be able to barrow a 375 H&H from a friend of a friend. But if not my RUM is it.

Your .300 RUMMY will work just fine at a lower velo with a better bullet than what you've mentioned. Get Woodliegh's Bullets and go with the recommended velo he states on his box! A 30-06 with Woodliegh bullets will work, .300 Win works. The trick is not to over drive the bullet. Remember it's cheaper to advertise than it is to build a better product, and thats just what you've got with all the manufactors you've named. Let the flamers begin, I don't care. I've been doing this to many years and have become sickened by the hype from people that don't use this stuff reguarly, and don't know any better! My first choise would be the .375 H&H. my load is rather mild for this ctg. I use 76 grains of 4350 (don't matter who's), along with Woodliegh's 270 grainers or you can use the 300 grainers if you think you just have got to, with the same charge. this load has killed some vary large bears over the years for me and many a guide I've loaded for here in Alaska. After 10 years using these bullets I've never heard or seen a failure with them. Well hope you can make the hunt. I also hope you will practice a lot with what ever you hunt with before you get on the plane. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have two kinds of .458's and a .458 with 510 grain soft points is over kill in a way. Neither bear stopped the rounds. I have since switched to barnes X 405 grains. I would think that a .308 200 grain X or triple shock would take one out. In the spring your not dealing with as big of bears. They are way down on body weight after a winter.

Triple shock might also be a good round.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodtsx.php

From the guys I know that have shot both Elk and Coastal Brown Bears they both say that an Elk is the tougher animal and that the guys going after bears with realy hot calibers and super hard solid bullets are making a mistake.
So for what it seems if they aren't any tougher than an Elk I would say the 200gr Accubond would do it just fine , you have enough energy to realy thump him and it should be able to penitrate end to end unless your right up on him.

One professional hunter I one new used an 300Wby and a 180gr Partition for everything he shot from antalope to Eland. He said that one big Griz he shot was a problem animal and was very aggressive , he made his first shot through the rear hips to anchore the animal then one through the lungs.

Personaly I plan to hunt a Coastal year after next with a Long bow.

I know that you 300RUM will out penitrate that

The 300 ultra will work just fine, but i would use a different bullet. Go with a 180 grain barnes triple shock or a 200 grain partition. Those accubonds get sketchy at close range with alot of speed. Good luck!

How about a 220 Gr.Nosler Partiton Semi Spitzer driven to about 3050fps. I will give the Woodliegh's Bullets a look. Thanks everybody for the advice. Maybe this is a good time and excuse to get that big thunder stick (375 or 416) that i have always wanted.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've never used woodleighs, but the Barnes or the Nosler partition will work. Barnes are NOT known for accuracy but they are the deadlies bullets i've ever used. I have heard that the triple shocks are more accurate.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but you cant buffalo Bob.

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a picture of a guy who didn't have enough gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a nasty picture you linked to. I could imagine that a person might very well look like that after a bear has been munching on them for a while. But the story behind this picture is very suspect. It seems that according to many websites only one bear in the history of bears has killed anyone. It must be the same bear discussed on every blog in town because it is the only bear that has killed two people and was shot at less than 50 feet AND was taken by a F&G officer AND was a world record.

You know who the bear ate don't you? It was the guy who was buying the brooklyn bridge and the guy who had it for sale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wait a minute! I already own the bridge. He shouldn't have been selling it again.

What parts of the story are true are hard to tell. With the Grizz expanding back into a lot of its former range and me being able to see retirement in the next couple of years I became intersted in what type of gun you would need to backpack with in grizz country. Being one of the poorest handgun shots either east or west of the Mississippi R, I was hopeing to get away with using some small caliber like a 9mm and just shoot a bear several times. As the picture of the camper indicates -several rounds from a 38 ain't enough. If you carefully sort out the incidents of bears and handguns a general picture emerges where the 44 mag with FMJ or hard cast lead is minimum needed for reliaible one shot performance in the hands of a reasonable handgun shooter (that leaves me out).

The websites that claim no one has ever been killed by a bear use the "ostritch" technique for research. There are a couple of deaths per year and many more maulings that involve head wounds (nasty bears bite you on the head). If they would grab you by the foot then you could get your gun out and shoot them while they where chowing down on your toes (even a bad shot like me could score at that range).

Second part of the story that was interesting was that the bear was killed by multiple shots from a 7mm Rem Mag using deer rounds from a semi auto. (Remember grizz already had three 38 rounds in him). If I was planning on doing it that way I would weld a bayonet stud on the end of the barrel and attach one because Murphy will show up sooner or later and a bear will get to you.

I'm going to be selling that bridge soon and some waterfront property in Fla to finance my retirement, you interested?

This is the little I know about shooting big bears with a handgun.

First you should use the biggest caliber you can handle. Next you should use the largest bullets available in that caliber. Then you absolutely must have a gunsmith do a total reliability package on it and when you bring him the gun ask for the "Kodiak sight adjustment". What this means is that you have the big tall front sight blade that comes on most big bore revolvers completely removed and the end of the barrel tapered and polished smooth. Why? So after you **** off that bear by shooting him with a pistol, the barrel of your gun won't hurt you as much when he shoves it you know where. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4KED Horn,I can see from your post that you have no confidence in a handgun to stop Bears I lived in Alaska for 7 years in the 80's and know of at least one Deer hunter that was killed by a bear. Also I shot a Grizzly Bear and a 53 inch Moose With a 475 revolver and am convinced that the performance is more than adiquate.The bear came in while I was removeing the horns from a moose.Also these revolvers from 45 caliber up work extremely well notice I am not an advocate of the 44 I have used them and seen others use them and contrary to what I have heard some say about their effectivness I donot believe that a 44 is in the same leage as 45, and up ie; heavy loaded 45colt[325grain 1300 plus fps 454 360grain,475 420grain ,500JRH,500Linebaugh with 500to525grain Bullets]
I have tried the 435 grain class bullets in the 500Linebaugh and didnot find them to penetrate and enough and found their effectiveness lacking,also a flat point bullet such as a LBT LFN is the preffered bullet style. If you would care to look at www.BuffaloBore.com. under field photo,s and story,s their is a photo of A Bison I killed with one shot. bullet exited.Performance was quite impressive.If you don,t believe me about the effectivness of these big bore revolvers ask Fiftydriver as he shoots some big bore revolvers also. I can asure you that you DONOT need to remove the front sight and sooth the barrel.

I see that you are new here. Welcome. I have never shot a bear with a pistol or otherwise so I certainly appreciate the info. As for my earlier post, I was just trying to be funny. I would actually like very much to hunt a bear of any sort with a handgun.

Thanks.

Hey, while we are on the subject, What do you reccomend for a bullet in a .44 mag on black bear?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.