Grip Tape for Rifle Stock?

bweber

Hi, I've got a rifle with one of those Bell and Carson Composite stocks. Everything about the setup is great, except that the stock is too smooth. I can't get a good grip on it.

Can anyone recommend a good kind of grip tape? I saw in the Natchez Shooters Supply catalog a neoprene thing that's designed for this. But I'm thinking I would like something more like the sandpaper-like tape that skateboarders use.

I need something that will last reasonably well, and that has strong enough adhesive that it won't peel off on my first trip in the field.

Thanks,

Ben

I use the 3-M type stuff that is put on stair treads 3M Safety-Walk. I buy the 4" type from the hardward store, they cut it off in short lengths.

I've haven't had it come loose even in very wet weather and submersion.

Here's some stuck to this little 44Mag.

All-Weather-77-44-OD2.JPG

I built a skatebaord for my son and it was a full custom paint job by me so I did not want tape covering up my superior art work. I put one coat of polyurethane on top of the artwork paint and sprinkled sand on the wet poly and let it dry. Then I put two more coats of poly over that. Very rough textured surface that is "see through" and durable. Lot of work to do it my way and I do not know if poly will stick to a synthetic stock. Sand grain size is important too.

I have the same trouble with the slick stocks. I call this my stick on checkering. I think it looks good on the HS Precision and Bell & Carlson stocks that come on my Accumarks. I use the tread grip tape from the RV supply store. I just cut it with scissors. It stays put very well. I only use it on my pistol grips because I only shoot with one hand.
300accumark0017vx.jpg

the tread grip tape that is sold at boat supply stores works very well also

Brownells sell some spray grit that works pretty well.

Ben ,

I have a cz that shines like a mirror ,i oiled it good wiped it down then put a coat of wax on it.
One roll of plain old camo tape --> it protected the rifles finish ,was camo of coarse ,and had a grippy feel to it.
I liked it so well i didn't want to remove after a while the thought of rust got to me and i peeled it off.It was obviously well sealed ,not a spot of rust -still looked brand new.Next time i'll leave it on a few years.

Good advice Bob a friend of mine did his high dollar trap gun that exact same way and works great and doesn't change the looks too much!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks guys,

I hadn't thought of boat places or RV supply places. I'll give that a shot and look for the stick on stuff. As long as it stays on it should work fine. I'm just never confident with my grip with those slick stocks.

Ben

Ben,

If you are looking for something that is a little less course you may try a rubber grip material made by Pachmayr called "Pak Skin" it comes pre-cut or in sheets and Midway carries it. I have used it with some success.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.