Greetings from VA

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jrallen_usmc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jrallen_usmc

jrallen_usmc Well-Known Member

I'm a long time lurker, finally registered. I live in central Virginia but do most of my "long range" hunting (deer and groundhogs mostly, some predators) in southwestern Virginia. I'm currently killing critters with a Rem. 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with a Bell & Carlson Medalist A3 Tactical stock, Badger Ordnance bolt knob, Harris swiveling 9-12", and Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 on top. With my handloads, 1/2" @ 100 is the norm, occasionally I will get my head on straight and shoot a 1/4" group. I also have a Rem. 700 SPS in .243 that is far less glamorous to look at, but it still shoot's 1/2" with good handloads.

Love the site!

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Welcome to Long Range Hunting. Now that we know who you are there's no more lurking. :)

3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

You might want to go right over the border and shoot the Fclass matches with your 308 at Oak Ridge. The 308 is perfect for the FTR class and lot of good practice.

BH

4. jrallen_usmc

jrallen_usmc Well-Known Member

BH,

I have been watching the videos and reading the articles around here about F-Class matches and I hope to get into one within the next year or so. I am inexperienced at anything past 600 yards (except for a few bursts with the M2 .50 BMG in Iraq...), so I think I will have to do some work to get confident up to 1000. I will definitely need to work on my ballistics chart since I only have good data for my current load out to 400. But in any case, I look forward to seeing some of you guys at a match someday!

5. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

welcome neighbor, I lob lead at deer and chucks up in wv, use to hunt shenadoah county va every year but due to a change in carreers and other things I gave up hunting va.
    RR