Greetings from Colorado

clue1369

Hi Folks,

I've recently returned to rifle shooting after a long hiatus. I've shot competition in .45 matches, combat and other types. Upland bird is my (and the pup's) favorite pastime.

Since dear old dad sold my collection before his demise and his introduction to the guy with flame around him, my first long gun aquistion is a Weatherby VS2 in .223, 24" bbl with 1/12" twist. Since all has gone crazy I've decided to reload (always did with pistol) so I will have many questions on the proper way to do certain things.

First question is.....freebore, free play, however it is termed. Using Hornady's OAL guage to quantify, what is the proper dimension for lead in to the lands?
I know this varies with bullet etc...all cases are trimmed to 1.75" and powder, primer etc chosen based on finished cartrige. I will use 3-4 different bullet weights and want to get the best out of them I can. Once my poor old eyeballs get used to a rifle w/scope again, I figure I can come close to what the rifle is capable of with proper loads.

Thanks for any information you can provide. Much appreciated.

**If it hits the paper....it can't be all bad**

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.