Great tip for new guys (focus your scope!)

cdmorten

Do you ever have days when you shoot well and others when you're not shooting well?

I recently sighted in my 300 WM Sendero w/Leupold M1 4.5 x 14 and I could not get it to group very well at 100 yards. I was pretty distraught.

I did some research on parallax and found that it's critical to have your scope focused PERFECTLY or your reticle will move in relation to the target as your head moves.

I went out yesterday and put the rifle on sandbags and focused the scope. Even though it looked focused, I moved my head around and found that the reticle moved on the target, so I adjusted my focus knob until the reticle was locked on the target when my head was moving.

Consequently, I shot my best group yet (5 shots @ .70 inches). I did the same thing with my .308 and shot about the same group which is my best yet.

I found a cool little white paint pen at a hobby shop and made a dot on the focus knob that shows when I'm perfectly focused at 100 yards.

Hope that saves someone some unneccessary frustration.

I have found parallax knob location to be pretty dynamic--that white dot may not be accurate in all weather/light conditions. the dot should always get you close, but i would check to make sure every time you shoot.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.