GREAT Budget Varmint scope... yeah, i know it is an oxymoron, PLEASE!

superlite17

If i ask an oxymoron... does that make me a plain old moron? Just a conversation piece, please dont answer that!

Seriously, i do need a new varmint/long range/high magnification scope and am on a budget under $500 but need to be around $250 for the marrital impact of new rig.

I had heard great things about Bushnell 3200 & 4200, tried both, and really found i liked an old Dusk Til Dawn ive had a few years better. Have recently heard some REALLY good things on SPECIFIC portions of Tasco line, but have no idea which ones. I have a Leu Vari X 4 on my Tikka 7mm and while I like it, I really cannot say IT EVEN is any better, and maybe less, and while i see value in paying more for quality... I PERSONALLY, and please dont be offended, its just me, but i do not feel i reallly got my money's worth with that one. Anyway, your ideas would be VERY welcome!

And as always, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WILLINGNESS TO SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE! I wil one day be able to do the same!

Thanks - Rod

Nikon 6-18 bdc with side focus and trgt turrets is what i would recommend to ya. Email me or call 1-800-522-3314 for price. Good glass and not very expensive

take it easy
steve

I just got a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 that came with a used rifle I purchased. When I purchased the rifle, I had all intentions of replacing the scope immediately upon arrival (I got the rifle from someone on the SavageShooters forum); however, after shooting the rifle with the scope on it, I'm honestly impressed with it and defintely intend to leave it on the rifle.
Cabela's has 'em for $139, I believe.

I'm gonna have to 2nd the Nikon 6-18 or I prefer the 4.5-14 for the 1/4 MOA mid turret design. Optics are great and the mechanical reliability and features of the Nikon pretty much justify your request.

I have heard some good things about Mueller scopes, but I have no first hand knowledge. They have an 8.5-25 for $180. Maybe someone can shed some light on whether they are worth a darn. mueller scopes

Yea, if you havent looked through Nikon glass in a few years you would really be ahead to give em a peek. Personnally i feel that until you are willing to spend 400-500 dollars on a VX-III series leupold you are better off with the buckmaster series nikons. JMOP

take it easy
steve

Although I prefer Nikon, I have also been impressed with Busnell Legend scopes. They seem very clear and bright for the money. I have a 3-9x40 and a 3-9x50, but have not ever looked through any of the 4-12's or 5-15's. You can get them for under $200.

[ QUOTE ]
Nikon 6-18 bdc with side focus and trgt turrets is what i would recommend to ya. Email me or call 1-800-522-3314 for price. Good glass and not very expensive

take it easy
steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two Nikons. A Monarch and the Bushmaster 4.5-14. They're both nice, clear, relaible scopes. The Buckmasters are a steal!

So they really are THAT great. Let me ask, what would you compare them to. For example the Buckmaster... is it as good as a VX leupold or Burris, is there an analogy you would say about the Nikons, as i have never held one even!

Thank You - Rod

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.