Grandpa's Gun Reborn - Rem 700 build, looking for input

Stephen O

We are putting together a precision rifle project and part of it is taking a basic Rem 700 in 30-06 and turning it into a serious 1000 yard gun. Your input would be great and your suggestions are appreciated. The end goal is to have a rifle that is shoots great (kills hogs and paper equally well) and is visually appealing. The link below will show you where we are at on the project so far, and where we intend to go.

Articles - Grandpa's Gun Reborn - From Dust Collector to Long Range Precision Rifle

Again, I'm looking for your input, so post away!

Thanks,

Stephen

How serious a 1000 yard gun do you want?

What do you want to kill at 1000?...paper? rocks? coyotes? elk?

Maybe a 6.5 will do it for you.

Maybe need a 338 Mag. gun)

My vote would be a 26" M24 or Sendero contour barrel with an 11* recessed match crown chambered for .280 Ackley Improved 40* shoulder will be perfect for what you want (wicked whitetail & elk round, too), properly trued action threads and raceway, true and lap bolt lugs, square the bolt face, Jard or Jewel trigger (I am ordering a Jard in the next few weeks for my 5R MilSpec .308), stock is up to you, but HS Precision, McMillan, JP Enterprises, Manners, AICS, etc... will all do the job, and the glass is up to you, but for a true contending 1000 yard rig, I'd go Nighforce NXS 8-32x56 with the MOAR reticle, bolted down to the action with an EGW HD 20MOA base, and TPS HD Aluminum 30mm Med rings.

That would be my perfect setup, with a JP Enterprises Benchrest Chassis system.

Ad as a matter of fact, that WILL be my next build, if I have the money to do the JP chassis and NF scope...If not, I might have to do with what I can for now, then add those later when money permits.

4bycamper and Mudrunner2005, thanks for quick replies.

This is long term project, so I'll be keeping and eye on this thread for some time to come. I'll post updates and ask questions as they come. There are a few things already set. If you click the link in the OP, you can see more but here are some basics:

30-06 caliber will remain for now.
Chasis will be Cadex Defense Strike Dual.
Optic will be Nightforce C429, NXS 3.5-15x50 with MOAR reticle and ZeroStop in a A256 MagMount.

As for what it will be used for, we will use it in a class with Bill Davison at Tac Pro Shooting Center. Then it's primary use will be hog hunting. Secondary uses will be general fun and education (more classes), predator hunting and possible big game hunting.

As a side note, we will very soon have a .338 LM to go along side this gun, so no need to try to take this gun too far up the food chain on caliber.

Thanks again

Atleast chamber it to a .30-06 Ackley Improved. You will gain better velocity and performance. You can keep the same barrle, just have the chamber reamed to accept the AI cartridges. You can fire-form brass by using factory .30-06 ammo that will fire-form to .30-06 AI once shot. Then all you have to do is buy a set of .30-06 AI dies for it. Preferably neck-sizer dies as they allow your brass to remain fire-formed and will help your brass last longer by not working the whole brass, just the neck and throat.

.280 AI is not even a belted magnum cartridge. They are based off the .280 Remington, which has a parent cartridge of a .270 Winchester.

Update:

Here is a list of the companies currently participating that will answer some of your questions.
SWR Suppressors is joining a great lineup of participants including:
Timney Triggers, NightForce Optics, Harris Bipods, Dynamic Research Technologies- DRT Ammunition, BLACKHAWK!, Tac Pro Shooting Center, King's Arsenal, and Cadex Defence.

We are still have not defined what barrel and bolt will be used for the caliber upgrade. To see where we are going with this click this link:
Articles - Grandpa's Gun Reborn - From Dust Collector to Long Range Precision Rifle

Please keep the suggestions coming. When you do, specify why you recommend a particular item both for clarity and my personal education.

Thanks again!

for precision rifle you need a precsion barrel on a remington 700. what barrel are you going to use??

currently upgrading a 700rem 7mm Rum. just purchased a bell and carlson tactical stock, fit like a glove. got a few more pieces to go but the adjustable stock was nice. mine is a sendero SS 26" and will muzzle brake and lengthen barrel 28". work is killing my free time. stuck in north dakota at the moment. gun)

Here's our review of the scope we put on. SWR suppressors is also contributing a Specwar 762, though it's not in yet.

Any suggestions for a top tier bbl? Should we go with something innovative or something tried and true?

Nightforce NXS with MOAR Reticle Brings Tactical Precision to Part 3 of the Grandpa's Gun Reborn Project

Articles - Nightforce NXS with MOAR Reticle Brings Tactical Precision to Part 3 of the Grandpa

If you've been following our Tactical Long Range Precision build - Grandpa's Gun Reborn - you know we've selected the Nightforce 3.5-15×50 NXS with MOAR reticle and Zero Stop as the optic of choice. Why? It was originally designed for military small arms, just the kind of thing Special Hog Weapons and Tactics™ types generally prefer to hunt with. We needed an optic that was equal to the rest of the build in quality and support. We connected with Nightforce at SHOT Show 2013, and they were just as excited as you and I about the opportunity and they fit the criteria.

I see yall decided to go with my recommendation for the NF NXS with the MOAR reticle. How are you liking it so far?

That reticle really is amazing isn't it? It's so simple to judge yardage with an MOA reticle.

MudRunner,

Love the reticle. No complaints on the 2nd focal plane either. It is fast for sure. What do you think about the factory set illumination level?

This rifle now has a big brother to compete with. We now have a .338 LM. Down the road, these two along with me and my brother/business partner will go head to head against each other. What are your favorite suppressor options for the 338 and why?

Thanks again!

MudRunner,

Love the reticle. No complaints on the 2nd focal plane either. It is fast for sure. What do you think about the factory set illumination level?

Man, I don't even have one....YET! But I am saving towards one. I've shot behind several of the ofher NF scopes with NP-R1 reticles, but looked through numerous with MOAR and done every bit of research about the reticle I can hold. But I have used other MOA reticles in the past.

I honestly fear getting one, b/c I will probably want to sell all my other scopes for my them! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.