GPS with maps - worth the $?

Oddbod

I'm in the market for a hand held GPS unit.
Ideally the unit will be able to upload detailed topographic maps or take memory cards containing those maps.
Is the map detail & current technology worth the money & if so, does anyone have recommendations for what to buy?
Thanks

Mike

I think so. I have a Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx. I like the detail of the maps. The topo's are very nice when I go hiking to places I've never been before. The x of the Hcx is nice also. I can pick up a signal in my basement. Mine has yet to drop a signal. A friend has one w/o the x and his will lose its signal almost always when there is some kind of an obstruction. Maybe he's got a lemon?

I have a Garmim eTrex Vista that I purchased about 7 - 8 years ago. Not sure exactly how long I have had it, but I am quite satisfied with it.

I purchased the Garmin MapSource CD-Rom maps that you can load into the GPS and they are good but not as detailed as some paper maps.

I am sure technology has improved since then, but a good GPS with the ability to load maps into the GPS can be one way to go.

THAT BEING SAID, if you really spend a lot of time with your GPS, I think you could get by without the maps. It will likely depend on what you want the GPS to do. I take mine fishing with me all the time and this provides excellent practice.

In my opinion there are very detailed paper maps that you can look at and get general coordinate from and do just fine, if you are looking for just a few coordinates. If you are planning to cover a larger area than this may not work. If you can load maps into your GPS that are as detailed as the paper maps then that is the way to go. The MapSource maps are not as detailed but will do.

I get Delorme maps and they have more than enough coordinates on them for me to find where I am at. However, I have used my GPS enough so I am more confident with it than I am with my cell phone.

I guess what I am saying is, if you spend a lot of time with your new GPS, you may get confident enough with it that you may not need the maps.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I'll have a look at Mapsource before I make a decision, as reasonable detail is something I want (ended up in some gnarly terrain last year due to lack of detail on the paper map I was using).
If the detail isn't up to it, then I'll go with a standard GPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.