GPS for long range shooting iPhone app?

Motoman006

My range finder seems to work good to about 1000 yards
I'm going to start shooting longer ranges in our field bottoms 1200-2000 yards
What GPS app or GPS handheld would work good for this to map my distance from where I stick my target to where I drive back to my bench?
I was looking for a iPhone app as that will surely be much cheaper then a actual handheld gps

I use Motion-X GPS and it works very well. At one time it was promoted on this site at reduced cost, so that's when I bought it. I mark interesting points I visit, hunt, fish, etc.

Dad bought it as well, and if he can figure it out on his iPhone then it must not be to difficult. :D

I use an app called Maps Measure, its not super precise but usually close enough for what I need. You basically connect two points on a google earth style satellite map, and it tells you the distance. I have used it in the field to measure from me to a treeline, or other identifiable structure.

Look at BallisticsARC on the App store. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it gets great reviews from those who have. $15 for the "pro" version lets you save all your rifles and loads, too.

I use MotionX-GPS for most stuff but never for shooting at any distance especially LR/ELR.

Without quite costly differential correction capability GPS even with WAAS correction isn't close enough to be useful unless used as a ball part value then walk 'em in from there.

There is rumor that UT Austin and a collaborator will come out shortly with a sub Inch correction for iPhones and such. Looking forward to that, as we use cm accurate DGPS continually in our agribusiness.

The bottom line is "There ain't no free lunch"

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.