GPS Equipment - This looks good!!

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by royinidaho, Feb 14, 2011.

1. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

My company which specializes in GPS/GIS applications in agriculture, forestry and of course outdoor activities has been testing this iPod/iPhone application.

Check it out.

MotionX? | MotionX-GPS Manual

2. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

That does look neat. I have considered getting a second phone so that I can have service out at the deer camp......the only provider that works there is ATT. Unfortunately ATT does not work at my home. Since the only phone that works great around my home is Cell South I am stuck with needing two cell phones. Thabks for the info I might give it try if I break down and get a second phone.

3. Steve NM

Steve NM Member

I have a android phone and there is a simaler app i have for it called "Back Country Navagator,Heres a Link BackCountry Navigator | Mobile Map Software for Outdoor Recreation .And with the droid you dont have to have cell service for the GPS to work.I have had this app for 6 months and it works pretty slick.if theres no cell service i just put it in airplane mode to save on the batterys and it works great.With this and the Shooter ballistic app sure makes things handier.
    Steve

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

We have been in contact with the developer for Motion X. A great guy to work with.

He as implemented several of our suggestions for increased compatibility with the GIS we use.

We use it on iPods with/out phone service.

It does all that we want for business and pleasure.

@$0.99 we are flooding the are with it.

MotionX and an iPhone/iPod will fully eliminate a laptop for mobile field work.

5. Steve NM

Steve NM Member

Sorry Roy i wasent trying ti hijack your thread!

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

no need for the 'sorry'.

All related information is good.

Some have droids and some have iphones/iPods.

the more info out there the better.......

7. HuntnID

HuntnID Well-Known Member

So does the Back Country Navigator work as well as a GPS in plotting points and the works?

8. nfhjr62

nfhjr62 Well-Known Member

As this post started the app was for iphone said to self DARN just got a new phone an HTC Android then as i read there is an app for that too now don't feel so bad only had phone for a week and haven't looked for any app's as yet

9. Bob lee

Bob lee Well-Known Member

It would need to do point "a" to "b" or wapoint to waypoint to be useful to me as a sportsman.

10. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I was supposed to have my iPod hijacked to use my blue tooth gps but missed connections with my hijacker.:rolleyes:

I'm certain that it does what you wish as it is being used when aerial photos are take to guide from one location to the next.

From the list of way points we select the way point from the list to be guided to.

I'll verify this to make sure.....

Roy

11. Good

Good Well-Known Member

This is nice, does it give elevation and such?

12. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Yep.

It does all that is necessary for our professional and outdoor needs. Even background images of several types (google earth and topos).

We have hijacked all company ipods to use bluetooth GPS and which replaces $2000.00 GPS units and laptops. Pretty nifty.

Note that elevation is the worst of the gps data outputs. This has to do with the quality of the GPS receiver. Most that are used for field work are spotty receiving the differential correction signal (WAAS).

13. James H

James H Well-Known Member

Roy,
    What are you using for a GPS receiver with the ipods?

Thanks

James

14. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild