Got some money to spend, now need new binos/rangefinder

87predator

Ok gents,

So after much convincing, the other half is giving me the ok to spend some of my bonus this year, (only after I bought her a ring first). I'm looking at a budget of about 3000 give or take. I was looking at the leica geovid-hd b or the g7 range finder plus a set of Binos. Which one would you do and why, or any other combo suggestions would be appreciated. I've done lots of research on both, and I feel its a wash, but figured I would ask the more knowledgeable people here. I will be purchasing these sometime in January.

So let the opinions and suggestions begin.

Thank you all.

I have the original Geovids and I love them. I will never go back to carrying binos and a range finder. I see no reason to carry both when you can get a super high quality combo. I have also uesd the Zeiss and Swaro versions. I wouldnt go zeiss as they are big and bulky. But the Swaro is very nice. The Geovid HD-B will be my next upgrade when I wear out the ones I have.

Ok gents,

So after much convincing, the other half is giving me the ok to spend some of my bonus this year, (only after I bought her a ring first). I'm looking at a budget of about 3000 give or take. I was looking at the leica geovid-hd b or the g7 range finder plus a set of Binos. Which one would you do and why, or any other combo suggestions would be appreciated. I've done lots of research on both, and I feel its a wash, but figured I would ask the more knowledgeable people here. I will be purchasing these sometime in January.

So let the opinions and suggestions begin.

Thank you all.

I'm not a optics expert by any sense of the word but if I had three grand to blow I would seriously be researching as you have the new Leica Geovid HD-B. I agree with Tikkamike's thinking about not carrying both when you can have such good quality in one package.

Also the fact that you can load your ballistic data on a SD card and insert the card into the bino almost seals the deal for me. You can have a SD chip for each rifle you use and just change them out...pretty slick.

G7 BR2 beam divergence issue.

I have never seen it to be a problem because of how the unit is engineered.

Here is a definitive response from Shawn Carlock.

I asked them about beam div when they send me the G7 and I read the specs. They talked of the programing in the RF to be able to detect beam strength from the multiple pulses given off by one firing of the unit. It then gives you the strongest feed back range, this is usually the most verticle target (side of the animal). Signals with less strength are culled in favor of the strongest signal.

It is my understanding that the large beam div was made on purpose to accomodate this target strength technology. I was somewaht skeptical but what they told me made sense. I may have not made my testing clear because the large beam div was a concern to me as well. I ranged probably a hundred targets from rock faces to stumps on a nearly flat ridge top (going down the ridge). Out to 1400 yards there was never more than a yard or 2 difference between the G7 and the Vectronix. This really suprised me as I thought the results would be much different. Now at longer distances say 1700-2000 yards there were some diferences in range but this is not the operating zone of the G7 nor was it ever intended to be. Out to any distance the G7 will give you a balistic solution it stayed right with my Vetronix.

I used it all hunting season in the locations I thought the shooting was going to be under 1400 yards. Now I don't have quick access to rolling sage flats so was not able to test there but I tested in locations that would have given a Swaro or Leica fits due to the flat nature of the terrain.

My opinion is still the same if you are a 3 digit shooter or even out to 1200-1300 yards the G7 has a serious speed advantage and I could not see where my Vertonix/Recon/Kestrel/ ACI setup had even a single advantage over the G7. I won't be getting rid of my other setup anytime in the future but I have left it at home in favor of the G7 quite a few times.

Re: the Leica unit.

It seems to me I read somewhere recently that the output in moa displays rounded to whole numbers -- with no decimal place.

Such as 11 moa rather than 11.4 or 11.1 or 10.8 moa

Can someone tell me if that is correct.

I wish there was a dealer close where I could fondle the g7. Might have to go to Cabelas and look at the leica. held the Razor and can't complain there. Yup much research is in order for the amount of money departing. Next will be scopes for my two new builds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.