Got some money to spend, now need new binos/rangefinder

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 87predator, Dec 18, 2013.

1. 87predator

87predator Well-Known Member

Ok gents,

So after much convincing, the other half is giving me the ok to spend some of my bonus this year, (only after I bought her a ring first). I'm looking at a budget of about 3000 give or take. I was looking at the leica geovid-hd b or the g7 range finder plus a set of Binos. Which one would you do and why, or any other combo suggestions would be appreciated. I've done lots of research on both, and I feel its a wash, but figured I would ask the more knowledgeable people here. I will be purchasing these sometime in January.

So let the opinions and suggestions begin.

Thank you all.

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

3. 406precision

406precision Well-Known Member

pretty tough to argue with those recommendations

4. 87predator

I would agree, I have heard some issues with beam divergence on the g7.

5. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I have the original Geovids and I love them. I will never go back to carrying binos and a range finder. I see no reason to carry both when you can get a super high quality combo. I have also uesd the Zeiss and Swaro versions. I wouldnt go zeiss as they are big and bulky. But the Swaro is very nice. The Geovid HD-B will be my next upgrade when I wear out the ones I have.

6. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

I'm not a optics expert by any sense of the word but if I had three grand to blow I would seriously be researching as you have the new Leica Geovid HD-B. I agree with Tikkamike's thinking about not carrying both when you can have such good quality in one package.

Also the fact that you can load your ballistic data on a SD card and insert the card into the bino almost seals the deal for me. You can have a SD chip for each rifle you use and just change them out...pretty slick.

7. Len Backus

G7 BR2 beam divergence issue.

I have never seen it to be a problem because of how the unit is engineered.

Here is a definitive response from Shawn Carlock.

8. Len Backus

Re: the Leica unit.

It seems to me I read somewhere recently that the output in moa displays rounded to whole numbers -- with no decimal place.

Such as 11 moa rather than 11.4 or 11.1 or 10.8 moa

Can someone tell me if that is correct.

9. 87predator

I was wondering about this as well.

10. 87predator

I wish there was a dealer close where I could fondle the g7. Might have to go to Cabelas and look at the leica. held the Razor and can't complain there. Yup much research is in order for the amount of money departing. Next will be scopes for my two new builds.