Got a package from Fort Shaw

ss7mm

More 270 AM's ready to go downrange. These are loaded up and ready for fire forming. 169.5 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT's over WC872 and Federal 215 primers. After today's break in and fire forming, they will be all muscled up and ready to do some really serious business with quite a bit more powder. Next week will be load testing and hopefully will have full loads worked up by next weekend.

327002.JPG

327004.JPG

Gun is an accurized, re-barreled Savage 110 with Sightron SIII, 6-24x50 that belongs to my hunting buddy. It now has a 30" Lilja barrel with Holland QD brake installed. Kirby set the trigger at 2# and it breaks like glass, consistently within 1 or 2 tenths of a pound at 2#. I think this could be the start of some serious fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We'll get this one out of the way and then I'll be ready for the 7mm AM, if McMillan ever comes through with a stock.

congrats on the gun,

I have seen that engraving on a barrel once or twice before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tell us what you get for a max load once you get the full tilt loads worked up.

BJ's RSI shooting lab just showed up so we will be testing it tomorrow and then hopefully on SUnday I will do some serious testing with the 270 AM.

Have fun with your new toy, it is a mean mother!!!

Take it easy
STeve

SS7MM

There is something about looking at a full tray of loaded bullets that just makes one feel good. And it is even better to have a full tray on Friday.

What is the lag time on a Mac stock? I sent them an email last week and they said about 4-6 weeks. Is that what you are experiencing?

buffalobob:

I don't know what stock they told you had a 4-6 week time frame but we were told 10-12 weeks delivery time was what they were running and that time frame was up about 5-6 weeks ago. It may be the A-5 that I've ordered that causes the delay but I've heard they take on government contracts and get behind on us poor civilians.

They are a good stock and worth the wait. That is easy to say after you have one but if your new gun is being held up by waiting on a stock then you wonder. After it's here and in use the wait will all be forgotten. It sure would have been nice to have it by hunting season though.

Good luck if you order one.

Yeah, I too like the looks of the little soldiers all lined up in the tray waiting to go flying. My buddy had a death in the family so had to leave for the weekend. Looks like we won't do any shooting until Monday. At least by then I'll have about 200 cases prepped, sized and ready for fire forming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't believe you guys are using those good bullets for fire forming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I see you have some 7mm bullets there to where do you live and when do you plan on being gone for a while? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K Looks like you are going to be having some fun. Good Luck and let us know how it does.

Took 13 weeks on my A5, but it is well worth the wait. I got it in the new G.A. Precision camo pattern. I'll put pics up in the moring if anyone is interested in this pattern.

dakor:

Even fire forming loads deserve a good bullet. I don't just shoot them only to obtain the formed brass. I treat fire forming loads just like a normal load. The gun will be sighted in for them and after the required target work the rest of the fire forming will be done as field practice on rocks, critters and a whole lot of long range, cross canyon, up and down practice. Even the fire forming loads are pretty potent so they can be some excellent long range practice.

I'm gone quite a bit up in the hills but the alarm and video system is always on while I'm gone, sorry but can't help you there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Even the fire forming loads are pretty potent so they can be some excellent long range practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they can!!! Prairie dogs to 700 yds were no problem w/them. Lerch and I should have some good data after this weekend. We'll let you know. It will give you something else too look forward to!!!

Have a good weekend,
B.J.

SS7mm,

Well my friend, I have good news, there is a very impressive looking A-5 in the shop with your name on it. Got a shippment in from McMillan with seven stocks all at once. Thats a blow to the checking account I tell ya!!!

Anyway, just waiting on Dan not to get the barrels here. There should be five of those showing up at once as well for the new 1-7, 3 groove 7mm design.

Dies came in middle of the week as well for the 7mm AM, only two of them though........ The rest I guess did not meet Redding specs and were pulled for rebuild, I hope that does not mean another 16 weeks!!!

Anyway, one of them is yours and the other is also spoken for so I am basically still without a FL die until the others come in, you mind if I use yours a bit to load some test ammo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Later, let me know how that 270 AM runs for you.

As stated, these things generally hold 1/2 to 3/4 moa with fireforming loads and thats at 500 to 800 yards so they are totally usible in the field. They also produce around 3100 fps as well with the fireforming loads so its a pretty serious load that can do alot of long range damage!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts