Got a crow at 398yds.!!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Quarterbore, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Quarterbore

Quarterbore Well-Known Member

I was at my range where I have my steel targets set up @ 300,350,400,450 and 500yds.
    And my friend and I were just getting set up and ready to shoot when I noticed a crow at the 400 yard steel target. So I told my friend I was going to take him out. He chuckled and gave me one of those "yeah right". Anyways, cranked my Mark 4 up 7 moa and let the Savage and 178 gr. Amax do the rest. Needless to say he didn't even flop. And the expression on my friends face was PRICELESS. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. johnny k.

johnny k. Well-Known Member

Way to go 308! Nothing like reaching out and touching one of those little smarta$$e$. I love it when they "think" they're outta range. My longest shot on one was right at 400yds also. Took him out with a 7mm RM and 150gr NBT's. The bullet blew him into 5 pieces. There were about 4 or 5 more with him and they did know whether to s*** or git. I love shooting those birds. NC changed their status to migratory so now we aren't supposed to shoot them with rifles. Johnny K.

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Nice shooting 308. Those distant crows make for some interesting shooting. Here's one that took a 70gr B-Tip through the neck. Notice that its got no head. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VH

4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Well-Known Member

Good shooting, I didn't catch it, but what rifle were you using to make that shot? It wasn't a .308 was it? [​IMG]

5. varminthunter-243win

varminthunter-243win Member

I have to agree with you guys about nailing those birds. I've touched them with a 7mm but never a 308. my longest kill was a crow perched on a road-kill carcass at just over 350 with my 243 and 55gr Sierra blitzking bullets. The 4.5-14X Leopold VXIII was as good for this as it is for Antelope. have fun neutralizing the crow population!!

6. Quarterbore

Thanks for your comments. I hate those dang crows but I hate even worse that Oklahoma puts a season and restrictions on them. Man, we got so many crows it's crazy. This is also my first long shot kill on one. However I will be sprinkling the range with corn from now on in hopes for many more. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

Nice shooting 338 Crows are my target of choise [​IMG]
    This is one I shot at 870 Meters.
    [​IMG]
    Shot of the damage of a 300g SMK at 870 Meters
    [​IMG]
    Crow Mag

8. Quarterbore

Dang, one heck of a crow shot. that could be a record. [​IMG] You must of been up high to pick him up out of the corn stalk. How many attempts did it take.

9. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

10. Imortal Wombat

Imortal Wombat Well-Known Member

gotta funny crow hunting story for you. was out hunting with my little brother when we saw a crow sitting a steel fence post, and decided that at 200 yards it would be a good opertunity to see how my lil bro shoots. So he took a good rest on a log and touched off a shot from our .22 magum. He was disapointed to hear a "bing!!" as the slug hit the post under the crow, but the we saw the crow fall from the post, it had died of fright because there was no mark on it.
    I know this dosn't match the 400+ yard shots you guys make but thought that i would chuck it in.

[ 06-25-2004: Message edited by: Immortal Wombat ]