Gortex boots...are they really waterproof?

davewilson

i've owned more than a handful of these things over the years and i'm not sure i ever had a pair that was waterproof. recently bought a pair from Wolveren, really like them, light, flexable, but of course don't walk in wet grass. sent em back, got another pair, same thing. all you need is wet grass and you have wet feet. the only thing i'm convinced of with gortex is every drop of water that gets inside the boot, will stay in there. none of it ever leaks out. is that what they mean by waterproof?

Well...hmm...I've spent years working and playing in many different types of goretex boot and boots without waterproof breathable (wb) laminate. I have found that in wet conditions, my feet remain dryer in goretex boots. However, if you are working hard, your feet sweat a great deal and easily overpower the breathing ability of the laminate, so you may not be able to tell the difference.

One thing I rarely see mentioned in adds is if the goretex bootie is seam sealed inside the boot. I don't know, but if it's not, water will leak right through the seams to your feet. I still think it's important to treat the leather, etc. to repel water just like you do for wb laminate jackets, etc. Just like on a wb laminate jacket, if the dwr coating is old, etc. and doesn't work anymore and the surface fabric 'wets out' (water doesn't bead up on it, but soaks inot the fabric), the wb laminate will not be able to breathe very well and you then essentially have a very expensive rain jacket with breathability not much better than a $20 vinly rainjacket.

Same concept applies to footwear. I think it's important to talk to the boot manufacturer and see what they reccomend for this purpose and determine from that in part if you want to buy their boot.

It's my understanding that feet have more sweat pores per square inch than any other part of your body so it's no wonder feet are often wet and smelly!

Last edited:
Dave, I have had luck with Danners keeping water out, but after a year or two they begin to leak as well. May-be your boots had the gor-tex installed inside out? Or China dosen't do as well a job as they think.

I've had pretty good luck with Meindl leather Gore-tex lined boots. If your wear them long enough in the wet stuff, the leather eventually soaks up water and the boots feel water-logged and heavy, but my socks inside the Gore-tex lining doesn't get soaked like the leather outside does.

So I've found the Gore-tex linings to work reasonably well with Meindl and Haix brands of boots.

And I wore the one set of Meindl Canada Hunter models from Cabela's for about 12 years before the soles finally de-laminated and began to fall off of them.

Dave, your probably talking about Rocky boots especially with the cordura. I'm on my 3rd pair of Bearclaws in 2 years. One sole delaminated on one and the other two leaked more than the first pair. Exactly what your are talking about walking in the wet grass.

My other worst boot ever purchased was the Danner Pronghorns. Same thing two pair in less than a year.

The one pair of boots I have that is waterproof short of my knee rubbers are the Rocky Snowstalker Extremes. But those are like walking in ski boots.

I too would like to keep my feet dry and warm.....

Hmm...I've spent 5 elk seasons and a number of days hunting deer in Danner Raptors (backpack wilderness hunting--not road hunting) with snobob sole and use Danner's own boot care waterproofer. Just put waterproofer on them today, in fact, to get ready for this weekends elk opener. They show some wear, but I still think I have several seasons on them. I use a pair of Danner 8" Acadia GTX steel toe for work as well and have been happy with them. First pairs of Danner's I've owned. The Raptors are definetly more comfortable with less break in time and are the reason I bought the Acadias for work. Acadias definitely built on a different last, however. Interesting the different experiences out there.

I've been wearing Irish Setter Goretex boots for the last nine years.I find them to be the best Goretex boots I've tried.The all leather ones are rugged,dry and long life boots.The Rocky boots were the worst.Didn't have too much luck with Danners and Merrils either.

Gortex is "Guaranteed to keep you dry!" Gortex really means it when they say that, Gortex has a life time waranty, only problem is you have to first get wet in order to use it. I recently had to send in a pair of Danner Pronghorns, and a pair of Browning Hydroflece pants, they called my within days of recieving the stuff and fully replaced wih new gear.. Gortex's cutomer service is excellent, they really stand behind their product.

I have 3 pairs of Danners (Acadia, Raptor, and another I don't know the name of) with gore-tex, Asolo mountaineering boots with gore-tex, had one pair of Rocky bearclaw's, a ton of Mountain Hardwear gear which has gore-tex and a lot more I'm forgetting.

None of my boots have ever leaked except the Rocky bearclaw. First and last pair of Rocky's for me...not just because they leaked, but because of poor construction and lasting only two years before falling apart. Two pairs of the Danners I have are going on 10+ years. I don't baby them, but I do take care of them.

The quality manufactured products with genuine gore-tex have never let me down. Anybody can put gore-tex laminates or booties in any product, but if it isn't done right you're throwing away money.

BS, you just sent those items in to Gore-Tex explaining they leaked and they ordered you new wares?

I have a pair of fist run Hydrofleece bibs that I bought 16 years ago and they are by far the best pants I've ever owned. Still dry to this day and they've hunted hard all over the US and Canada.

I have had good luck with gortex also. With similar issues noted from others with regards to gortex.

Although I have a different foot that requires custom made stuff to fit correctly.
Due to this issue with my foot size, I had a set of Russell Moccasins/Boots custom made for me. Full grain silicone Impregnated leather boots. So far for 3-4 years no problems and no leaks very waterproof resole-able. They also backed their product well. The first set of boots I received, I didn't like how the sole was cut. They made me a completely new pair. I then stated that due to the amount of time and having to remake the boots they should send me some silicone boot treatment for the boots. They mailed me 1-gallon of treatment for the boots pretty much a lifetime supply. I could never find a set of mass produced boots that really fit me well and with the costs of some of the boots for the bit of extra money I have boots crafted just for me. NO GORTEX

I've had pretty good luck with Meindl leather Gore-tex lined boots. If your wear them long enough in the wet stuff, the leather eventually soaks up water and the boots feel water-logged and heavy, but my socks inside the Gore-tex lining doesn't get soaked like the leather outside does.

So I've found the Gore-tex linings to work reasonably well with Meindl and Haix brands of boots.

And I wore the one set of Meindl Canada Hunter models from Cabela's for about 12 years before the soles finally de-laminated and began to fall off of them.
Amen

I second that my miendle boots are now 8 yrs old and have still not fallen apart. I have hunted very hard in hese boots with great comfort.

JAWZ

BS, you just sent those items in to Gore-Tex explaining they leaked and they ordered you new wares?

I have a pair of fist run Hydrofleece bibs that I bought 16 years ago and they are by far the best pants I've ever owned. Still dry to this day and they've hunted hard all over the US and Canada.

You bet, I called Goretex, and they gave me a "Return Authorization #" I sent my boots and pants down to them. They called me back within days of recieving them stating that they would give full replacement. Given that I live in Alberta, I just went to my local sports shop and Goretex forwarded a Credit Card #, I left with new stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.