Google Maps as crude ranging technicque?

270yotekiller

I am saving moolah to buy a dedicated laser range finder but in the interim what are your thoughts on using the likes of Google Maps or similar mapping apps on the internet as a crude ranging tool? I realize the accuracy of these apps can vary greatly but if i have the option to range using the map and verify with accurate field shooting - would it be a feasible starting point? anyone have practical knowledge on this idea?

Thanks

I would think the results would be inconsistent and not precise enough to be meaningful. Then again... for target practice, you just need to be in the ballpark and have a spotter to help walk your shots in. You can always try it.

A handheld GPS unit might only be slightly better.

Neither one would be sufficient for actual hunting where your prey may appear at varying distances.

A mildot or ranging scope might actually be better. But, it takes a good bit of practice.

A good laser rangefinder is hard to beat.

-- richard

Most high definition aerial/images are 1 meter per pixel. Thus if all else is perfect the best one could get is sub 2 meter values. 1 meter at each end of the measurement.

All else is never perfect. With a sub-meter gps receiver, $2000 range, the trace can be kept on the road way, more or less. At times you are shown in the wrong lane.

With any hand held gps if you can get within range of a 22 LR you're in good shape.

Repeatability with hand helds, where differential correction is iffy, is not close to risk a shot at an animal.

LRF is the only way to go with confidence.

If you know where you're hunting (stand) then just measure it preseason (walk it, mildot it, count fence posts, etc.) then setup a target, take a shot, and adjust as needed. Then make a card with a drawing showing the distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts