Good spot to practice long range in Norhtern Utah

rdmega

I live up near Hill AFB and have all but run out of good place to practice over two hundred yard shooting. Most of the land we tried using is "private" (although I have some arguments with that, googlemaps!!) I dont want to go out to the desert like everyone suggests because I cant really duplicate long range mountain hunting shots on flat salt.

Please help?

thanks

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've rarely check the West forums. I have a great place to shoot out west around Promitory Point. Here's the coordinates. 41* 38' 44.96"N 112* 42' 41.04"W . This is where I park, by an old water tank and shoot West along the road. The road goes to nowhere so it's safe to shoot. You can stretch that gun to more than a mile if you want to. The best part is you can drive to your targets. The wind is fairlly calm until about 10:30. Hope that helps. Chuck

Maybe an hour from Brigham.
There's also a place closer but you could only squeeze maybe 600 yards out of it. 41* 29' 38.04"N 111* 59' 44.46" This is the coordinates to the turnoff that leads you to a bench East of there. Once you get up on the bench you'll see plenty of places to throw lead. It's closer so I go up there more often.

LRSickle,

Thats funny, that is the same exact place that I shoot steel all the time. You can shoot well past 1000 there. The only thing is it gets tough to shoot with the heat mirrage. Great minds must think a like (at least I hope).

I also have some areas up in the randolph area that I like to shoot because of the canyons and draws that are out there. That is kindof a bit of a trip though. Be happy to let you know where they are at though if you want to make a weekend out of it. Also some good fishing spots along the way too.

Roy,

spirit ridge is an ok place to shoot as well. I have not just gone out and shot though. I have only been there during their tournament times. Its a different experience during tournament times I have been told.

Shootinfool, you right the mirage is bad out there. I don't see much mirage or wind until 10:30. We keep shooting just for the practice then go shoot bunnys or go fishing at Locomotive springs until evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.