Good scouting trip

bounty hunter 2

I went for a ride on my enduro bike yesterday to scout an area I have been wanting to check out for this coming season.
I was in the back country of the Gravely Range just north of the Centennial Valley in SW Montana.
I came upon a couple very old fallen down cabins so stopped to look for artifacts.
I meandered up a small spring creek and had to answer the call of nature. Just as I was finishing my paper work a pack of 6 wolves cut loose and started howling maybe 200 yards away on the opposite side of a willow thicket I was in. I got myself put back together and headed back toward my bike at the old cabins. When I got there I stood behind one of the cabin walls and started howling with them. We spent about 15 minutes howling back and forth. At times it was just a couple of the six and at times it was all six. What an incredible chorus!!! Six wolves and myself in a sing along.
After a bit they started filing down from the ridge they were on about 300 yards away and coming toward me. Since season is not open yet and all I had with me was a 2" barrel J frame Smith kit gun in 32 S&W long I decided discretion was the better part of valor so got on my bike and got down the trail. I will never forget the sound of my short jam session with those six singers.
My new wolf rifle is tuned and ready for open season. Its on a Stevens 200 action with 28" Pac-Nor barrel with 1/10" twist chambered in 6.5/06 Ackley mounted with my new Bushnell 3x24 mil/mil scope. I am shooting the Hornady 100gn A-Max bullet and my load is getting 3690 FPS MV. Should do the trick.

Wolf season opens on 9/15 and I am chomping at the bit. I got a high of $138.00 on my coyotes last year from NAFA. I missed top lot trapper by $3.00, DANG!!! The low on wolf at that auction was about $400.00. I don't remember the high on wolf but think it was about double of the low.

My new wolf rifle is tuned and ready for open season. Its on a Stevens 200 action with 28" Pac-Nor barrel with 1/10" twist chambered in 6.5/06 Ackley mounted with my new Bushnell 3x24 mil/mil scope. I am shooting the Hornady 100gn A-Max bullet and my load is getting 3690 FPS MV. Should do the trick.

I shoot the same caliber on a Remington action, 27" Lilja. I shoot 140 Berger hybrid and 160 matrix and hope to use 160 woodleigh for elk less then 500 yards. What made you choose that twist rate with that barrel length? Have you tried the 123gr.?
Where I hunt the wind is typically 15- 25 mph so I choose the higher bc. On mutts I have never killed one past 420yards and no bigger then 115. Gr. bullet. But I have missed more then I care to admit on bad wind calls on a tiny kill zone.

A hole in a wolf in the right spot will do the trick with that 100gr bullet. I hear that you can flattened wolves with a smk 95gr 243.

I chose a 1/10" twist as a compromise of high velocity and BC. I specifically chose the Hornady 100gn A-max for a reasonably high BC and am able to get my working load to 3690 fps.
For the ranges I have been shooting and practicing to 850 yds this compromise seems to be working good. I have yet to learn what the terminal effect will be on salable fur but in practicing on rock chucks this summer at 650 yards it was still ripping them up pretty good.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts