Good reticle for Leupold VX-II

montana_native

I have a VX-II in 6-18 X 40 that I was going to send it to replace the fine duplex for some long range shooting/hunting. What would be a good reticle for a 300 WIN.? Are their ballistic reticles decent? I'm probably going to shoot 200 grain bullets.

Thanks for any advice.

The LR Varmint Duplex would be the simplest system i'd use. It would be a great choice tho. as it gives u the following subtensions at 18x--

0-1st stadia line = 1.8 MOA

#2=4.13
#3 (post tip)=7.02

nice thing about that reticle is the windage stadia (plex post tips) subtend 3.8 MOA from the vertical axis. That provides for a good "subtension unit" that can be easily broken down accurately.

I'm into reticles for LR shooting though, and if it were me i'd get the Varmint Hunter reticle since it gives excellent windage flexibility.

Last edited:
It's dummy proof, or in my case, neighbor proof.

I bought my VXII 2-7x33 w/ the LR reticle last spring to put on top of my CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. Now even though the 286 Nosler Partition has a .482 bc and at 2500 is not exactly a sloutch but It's not a lazer either.

Anyway, I set the rifle up for my Grizzly hunt which was last month. Didn't shoot Grizz (shot a big moose @ 15 yds with my 45 LC Ruger Blackhawk) so decided to sell the rifle but keep the scope. Before selling it I was helped my neighbor's 25 year old college kid try and get his 270 win up and running before the elk hunt. I couldn't get the darn thing to shoot or even sighted in so I loaned him the 9.3. It has the ballistics taped to the side of the stock. All he had do was lazer the elk, put the correct dot on him and squeeze. With zero training, he did exactly that the 2nd weekend of the Utah season. He kept plopping those big Partitions into the boiler room @ 300 yds (1st dot) until the spike, not knowing he was dead at the first round, finally fell over from 3 hits.

As I said, I like the scope so much, I'm keeping it for my 18 yr old daughter's new Rem 700 CDL SF Limited Ed in 260 Rem. She's brand new to shooting and I don't want to overwelm her with stuff when the stress level increases.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.