Good options for rings and bases

dirtydog

I'm going to mount a Vortex 6-24x50 on my rem 300 RUM model 700, its primarily a hunting rifle so I'd like to keep it somewhat lightweight .
thanks in advance

I'm going to mount a Vortex 6-24x50 on my rem 300 RUM model 700, its primarily a hunting rifle so I'd like to keep it somewhat lightweight .
thanks in advance
EGW heavy duty aluminum rail and TSR/TSRW rings. Len turned me onto the rings and I've been very well pleased with them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=TPS+Rings&userItemsPerPage=48

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...scope-base-savage-long-action-flat-back-matte

I have this combo on six or seven rifles now and it's worked out very well for me.

My preference is Murphy Precision rail. They come Stainless(5.5oz) or titanium(3oz). A bit pricey, but very well built. For rings I use TPS for all of my rifles. They come aluminum or steel. I use the aluminum with great results.

The Hawkins 20 moa, single piece rings are of the highest quality, but are a bit pricey. I also have had good results with TPS and Seekin rings.

For light weight Talley rings are hard to beat. The base and ring are one piece and doesn't allow any ring to base movement as can happen with other styles

. The EGW are very good mounts. If you're being thrifty, the Talleys are much less and are as posted previously, hard to beat. A friend has the Talleys on his 300RUM and they hold up fine. Good luck

Another vote for the talley lightweight rings. very solid, well made and hold up. I had a nikon monarch on my tikka 338wm shooting 250gr bullets and the scope never moved.

Does talley offer 20moa on their one piece rings? If they do has anyone had any experience with them?

I installed Talley 1 piece rings/mounts on 2 of my rifles and had the same issue. 1st set installed on a Rem 700, low mounts, the Magnification ring hit the rear base. This was using a Vortex scope with 30mm tube. Never shot it cause the eye relief was not correct so bought the mediums and installed them. Sighting in was difficult as the factory scope settings were placing impacts way low and right. I have plenty of scope adjustments so it's no big deal...
2nd rifle is a Win 70 in 264 Mag and I had the same issue, impacts low and right. These were not 20MOA rings/mounts but I noticed that both Talley rings/mounts were the same height. The rear receiver mounting height is lower than the front. Hmm, same for the Rem 700. I had to adjust the scope 16.5MOA vertical and 6MOA horizontal to zero at 100 yards...

After some research I installed a 20MOA base from EGW and Burris Signature Zee rings. I centered the reticle in the scope and after a few shots, I adjusted 3.25MOA right, no verticle adjustment needed.
I've already shot the Win 70 past 800 yards. With the Talley 1 piece rings/mounts, about 800 yards is all the turret adjustment I had left after all of the adjusting needed to zero.

My dad had the same problem with talley one piece on a weatherby vanguard. Ordered them from Midway. They fit, but just didn't look quite right. Called Talley. They were the wrong ones. Midway sent the wrong ones. Called Midway. Midway said that you have the right ones. Dad said to Midway, you better get in touch with Talley because they just told me they were not the right ones. You know the company that made the **** things.

THE POINT OF THIS STORY IS..... (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT PART NUMBER). I recommend calling Talley and verifying it with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts