Good gunsmith in PA

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by timeless61, Nov 18, 2008.

1. timeless61

timeless61 Well-Known Member

I used the search, but did not come up with too much promising. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good gunsmith to do work in PA specifically northeastern PA, or eastern PA. I know Borden does good work but is quite pricey and usually pretty busy, also a pain of a drive for me. any other suggestions to mainly just pillar bed and glass bed a gun. thanks

2. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Vince Pastorella in Hazleton is very good and quite reasonable. He shoots benchrest, has a small shop. He is not on the internet, and I don't have his phone number, but you can find it in the phone directory. He is on Rt. 309, just north of town.

3. DCGS

DCGS <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

Not a smith but can't get any better on stock work than Joel Russo in Harrisburg. He has done 2 for me great work on both Dan

4. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Sid Goodling in Spring Grove, Bob Green near York and Clarence Hammonds in Red Lion.
    Me in North Central Md.

5. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

If you're close to me, I would be glad to help. I'm not a gunsmith, but specialize in custom stock work.
    717-805-0940

6. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

If your going beyond the stock work you could also contact Kevin Cram from this site. He is also a custom builder/smith. He runs Motour county rifles. He's in Danville, pa.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. timl

timl Well-Known Member

There's also Bob Hart in Nescopeck. Check out his site-- rwhart.com

8. timeless61

forgot about hart, he is closest to me. Harrisburg is around 2 hrs, Danville is an hour or so. I have a Savage model 12 VLP that I would like pillar bedded and glass, or is pillar bedding enough? I have read where with the laminates you can run into problems with action screws coming loose and such. It seems to shoot pretty well as is, when I broke in the barrel, most shots even with cleaning were touching or made the same hole bigger at 100 yards. And I would also do any other little accurizing things that would help at the time I do this.

9. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Kevin Cram here on this site.

Bruce Baer Baer Custom Rifles has a website

Mark King King custom rifles

All three are absolutely top notch LR shooters and builders of LR rifles for over 30 years in some cases.

go to PA 1000 Yard BR club site and look at their sponsors contact information.

Herman

10. pa hog

pa hog Well-Known Member

I'm not a R.W. Hart Fan but,

+1 Kevin Cram for sure,great gunsmith and real nice guy

11. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

+1 for Kevin.
    His work, attention to detail and customer service are 2nd to none. I've known him for a long time and never had any issue's. Drive the extra little bit it will be worth it in the end. There something nice about a smith that will actually sit down and talk to you whether you buying a new gun or just having a five minute job done. Try that with the other smith in the area (I won't mention any names) I've been there and mentioned "Savage" or it came up I was not building a new gun and it was like pulling teeth to get any kind of info. Call me crazy but thats the first thing I look at.

He did all the work to my savage tactical and is in the process of building my custom right now

For stock work without a doubt go with Joel Russo. His laminates are simply amazing.

12. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more with these statments.

13. timeless61

thanks for the responses, Kevin and Joel seem to be highly respected and liked, both have been very helpful thru PM thanks again. Same type of thing as someone mentioned, I want some work done on my savage, then in the future I would like to build a 338 LM or something of that nature.

14. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

+1 on Kevin and Joel. great guys, great product and fast turn around.