Good bullets?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by hillajam, Feb 9, 2007.

1. hillajam

hillajam Well-Known Member

I have a 300 WIN MAG and am using Sierra matchking 200 gr HPBT. I was just curious on what other bullets you guys have used and how they shot. I'm just starting in reloading and was just curious. I guess I want to hear what bullets you guys think are the best!

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

The best bullet is the one that shoots the best from your gun. I never realy gave the 200gr SMK a second look due to the low BC for the weight. I use the 190 SMK and 178 A-max and now that they make a 208gr A-max I think that those would be good bullets in the 300 mag case.

What are you planning to shoot with these bullets and at what range? A good bullet for deer at 50yds might not be a good bullet for Elk at 500yds and a good bullet for Elk at 200yds might not work at all on pronghorn at 800yds

3. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

I also use the 190SMK and 178 A-Max. The 208 A-Max in on the "try it" list this spring.

4. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i shoot the 210 berger for long range. lapua brass. and a LOT of re-22. the 3 - 300 win mags i have loaded for have been the least temperamental cartridge to load for except for MAYBE the .222 rem. roninflag

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ... I never realy gave the 200gr SMK a second look due to the low BC for the weight. I use the 190 SMK ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I BC's of .533 for the 190 SMK and .565 for the 200SMK.

A gain of .032BC for only 10gr additional weight is a pretty even trade in a 300 Win Mag.

At 750 yards, the 190SMK has a .25MOA advantage but the 200SMK has around a 80ftlb advantage in retained energy.

Sounds about like a wash to me? It really comes down to the individual needs and the individual rifle.

Don

6. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I also use the 190SMK and 178 A-Max. The 208 A-Max in on the "try it" list this spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

I also enjoy the 200 ACCUBOND.

7. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

Not to highjack this thread - JD, the largest animal that you've taken with the 178gr AMAX in the .300? I've had superb results up to about 175 lbs often without an exit at all. I haven't tried it on larger game. I'm just wondering how you'd feel taking on Elk or something like that? My opinion from what I've seen is that it's too fragile - but I'd like to hear from another user.

Thanks for any input.

Wim

8. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Peraonaly, I would not use the 178 AMAX on elk. Most here wont either. The 180 ACCUBOND is a very good accurate well constructed option.

9. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I like the 180gr. ballistic tip, and the 180 and 200gr. accubond. never tried the amax but love them out of an 7mmstw.

10. longgunshooter

longgunshooter Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

I also enjoy the 200 ACCUBOND.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

i used the 200gr AB's out of my 300wm on game for the first time this past fall with excellent results. one 200lb+ mulie took a high boiler room hit that passed clean through him at 470yds. minimal meat damage. another (a whitetail buck maybe 190lb..ish) took a hit straight on (facing me) at under 100yds that failed to exit...entered heart high and traveled 3/4 the length of his body coming to rest at the hip socket. bullet weighed 154gr when recovered. i was really surprised at the amount of meat that wasnt damaged with this shot.

i have been getting the best results as far as accuracy in the 2900 realm...i can post the load data if you would like.

accuracy has been excellent. a few three shot strings from the bench at 100yds have been darn near one holers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. also, accuracy out to 500yds has maintained moa...if i do my part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif....and the wind DOSNT do its part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Re: Good bullets? 200 AB Loads

longgunshooter,
    Could you post your load data for the 200AB or send me a PM with the load data included? I'll be trying this bullet in my 300WM soon. Thanks.

12. hillajam

hillajam Well-Known Member

That would be great long shooter. I'd like to see what you came up with. Thanks