Good brass for 300 win mag?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by hillajam, Feb 3, 2007.

1. hillajam

hillajam Well-Known Member

I was looking for some input on what kind of brass I should get for my 300 win mag. I don't need the top of the line super duper expensive brass, just some good all around brass.

2. mooser

mooser Well-Known Member

I've been using winchester for a long time and never had any trouble

3. tylercleary

tylercleary Well-Known Member

Hillajam, Winchester or Remington brass isn’t bad if you’re willing to spend some time on sorting, de-burring and uniforming… a bag of 50 is going to run you about $22.00. If you want brass that is already weight sorted and cleaned up, try the Nosler Custom. A box run 50 will run you about $48.00. My 300 is used mostly for hunting, so a box of 50 is about right for me and lasts a while. Lapua and Norma will cost more and unless you are competing and need the best, may not be worth the extra money.

4. hillajam

hillajam Well-Known Member

Thanks TAC,
    Now how about capacities on the rem, win, and nosler custom?

5. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I soend the extra money and get Lapua , simply because I don't have to do anything to it and it last twice as long as winchesters. I shoot it in every 300 I've owned factory or custom

6. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Use Nosler.

7. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

JDJ,

All due respect for a hunting gun Nosler is hard to beat! No trimmin nice primer pockets pull it out start workin a load...also I had under .002 strech in a once fired(and them werent no kiddy loads).

Plus it was easier to find bought off self no ordering.

Still tring to figure out where I know JDJONES from! You in LA? And no I dont mean LOS ANGLES!

8. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks TAC,
    Now how about capacities on the rem, win, and nosler custom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any ideas on relative case capacities from the different brands? In Quickload, it lists 5 different cases for the 300 WinMag. The designations and their H2O capacities in grains follow

(N) 95.5 (Norma ?)
    (W) 93.8 (Winchester ?)
    (F) 92.0 (Federal ?)
    (@) 91.5 ( ???? )
    (R) 88.0 (Remington ?)

Anyone have any actual measurements?

Don

9. dlebeck

dlebeck Well-Known Member

Ya Ya Ya, what they said. For my two cents; DON'T EVER BUY FRONTIER BRASS!!! IT SUCKS BIG TIME!! I use Remington and Nosler. Both work just fine.

10. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Hey NYLES , I used to live in Kiln , MS and now live in Slidell , LA and have for the last 6 yrs. I go by JD instead of James D. Jones because the later is a little common and I was oncstantly getting asked are you the same James Jones that whatever.

I tried the Nosler brass and wasen't to happy with it for the price I was paying and it lasted a good deal less than the Lapua maybe 5 firings and the Lapua I have has gone 8-9 rounds and seeing the the Lapua is only about $10 more per hundred .

Where abouts is Free Run , MS , I may have been through their hunting?

11. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

In the hills just north of Yazoo. So close I have a Yazoo zip. Free run is just an old name for the area. Saw it on an old topo map one time.

12. blackco

blackco Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but; how about Federal brass (F-C)? I seem to have a ton of it and I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other.

13. Jim Hundley

Jim Hundley Well-Known Member

I measure water capacity from a once fire case -Lapua- from my chamber - filled to the very top of 94.6 grs. of water.It would be interesting to hear other results!I really like the Lapua .300 Win. brass and agree with Mr.Jones.
    Jimmy

14. coupalr

coupalr Well-Known Member

Jimmy, your fireformed brass is not going to be a true indicator of capacity when comparing it to other people's since your chamber will not be the exact same size as theirs.