good barrels?

Here are my top Four;

1. Krieger
2. Hart
3. Lilja
4. Shilen

IMO, I think Kriegers are the best, however, the other 3 are awesome too. Any of the top four are awesome barrels, so you can't go wrong with any of them. I've had really good results with Krieger. I've also had good results with Liljas too. However, the Kriegers just seem to work best for me.

There are other barrels out there I did not even mention. Such as Lawton, Broughton, Spencer, Bartlein, Pac-Nor, just to name a few.

Talk to your gunsmith, and I am sure he will give you his advice on which barrel he likes. Also, look on the Benchrest and 1000 yard Benchhrest sites to see what those guys are saying and see what type of equipment their using and winning with.

I think many on this site either use Krieger or Lilja. If I were you, I would go with a Krieger. Good luck with your choose. Keep us informed.

Also, can you give us some info on your build. What caliber, Action, Stock, and Trigger will you be using.

Wildcat

Depends.

Lot of good mftrs right now, are you looking or cut or button rifle?

regular land and groove or the canted 5R or 5C rifling which is a tad faster and very easy to clean.

For a good hunting guy, doubt you could go wrong with any of the ones listed.

BH

Bighead, go with a Remington 700 Stainless Steel Short Action. You can buy one for about $375.00. I think you will be much happier with the Rem. 700 Action + the Reminton Action is easier to customise.

The rifle sounds great and the 270 WSM is a great caliber. You might want to look at the 7mm WSM too, it will give you a better bullet selection than the 270 WSM. Anyhow, keep us informed.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
Bighead, go with a Remington 700 Stainless Steel Short Action. You can buy one for about $375.00. I think you will be much happier with the Rem. 700 Action + the Reminton Action is easier to customise.

The rifle sounds great and the 270 WSM is a great caliber. You might want to look at the 7mm WSM too, it will give you a better bullet selection than the 270 WSM. Anyhow, keep us informed.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

The stainless steel remington actions are not as strong as the chromoly version. If you are running pressures high, you may want to reconsider.

James

[ QUOTE ]
Can the 270 idea. Do a 7mm-270 wsm on Norma brass and have Kirby build it. He's got the reamer already. Best dang 7mm I've ever seen and will ballistically pound the 270 into the dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a gun built on the reamer GG mentioned. Super shooter!! And Kirby does great work. I'm running ther 162gr AM with H4831SC.

I'm not Chawlston , but I'll chime in if its ok

CM is a harder and stronger material than 416 series SS that the actions are made from , its stronger in tensil , compression and yield strength thus making for a "stronger" action. I personaly would not worry about it any unless I were gonna be using a realy fat case like the 378-460 Wby or a RUM or 338 Lapua and gonna run stupid pressures.

If your wanting a action that realy strong and resist the eliments the 17-4 alloy would be the way to go , I think that several action makers use this stuff.

I have realy founbd a soft spot now for the 5R rifled barrels , I've owned and used both Rock Creek and Obermeyer barrels and they are awsome , the offer a little better speed , clean very easly , supposed to last longer and don't tear up a thin jacket bullet like others do.
Unless I get a good deal on a differant barrel makers , I'll be using Rock Creek exclusivly

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not Chawlston , but I'll chime in if its ok

CM is a harder and stronger material than 416 series SS that the actions are made from , its stronger in tensil , compression and yield strength thus making for a "stronger" action. I personaly would not worry about it any unless I were gonna be using a realy fat case like the 378-460 Wby or a RUM or 338 Lapua and gonna run stupid pressures.

If your wanting a action that realy strong and resist the eliments the 17-4 alloy would be the way to go , I think that several action makers use this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

James where do you get your figures from?Freedom Arms Uses Stainless in their revolvers and they will handel extremely high presures the 454 factory loads are loaded in the 60,000+ psi range and manny people exceed this with reloads with out any negative effects. John Linebaugh filled a case full of I believe Bullseye and remotely fired it in a Freedom revolver and the brass was in pieces with no apparent damage to the firearm.........

OK. I knew that many barrel makers use 416 for their products but I was unaware that Rem used 416 for their actions. Where did you get this info?

Freedom Arms makes their frames and cylinders from 17-4 SS and their barrels are made from a special metal of their desgine , close to 410 SS

I can't remember exactly where I got the info that Rem used 416 in their actions but I'd be willing to bet that 95% of mass produced SS actions are 416 as it is "ordanace" grade SS and its about 1/3 the cost of the stronger alloys like 17-4. 410 may be a little bit harder but not much

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.