Good Ammunition?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by RagingNinja, Sep 29, 2009.

1. RagingNinja

RagingNinja Member

Trying to get good groups can be hard without the right ammunition. So could you suggest some good ammunition for accuracy for a Marlin, 22. Magnum? I was thinking on the Hornady V-max. But A friend of mine said that the CCI Maxi-Mag+V is just as good, but cheaper. Thanks :)

2. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

Not specific to a Marlin, but in general, I have found the Remington Premier .22 Mag ammo to be the most consistent. However, the last .22 mag that I shot liked the Win Super X hollowpoints. It didn't like the Super X solids though. I haven't tried the Hornady V Max .22 Mag, but their .17 HMR is good ammo. I haven't had any luck with Fed or CCI .22 Mag, but all my ammo was several years old. I think that the new ammo could be better.

Bottom line, you'll have to try different ammo to see what your rifle likes best. Unfortunately, that usually means having to buy a box of each, knowing that 3 or 4 brands probably won't work, and if you're lucky, 1 or 2 of them might. At $12 - $14 a box, it's an expensive experiment.

Good Luck, Tom

3. RagingNinja

RagingNinja Member

Hmm... ok, Thanks Tom. The lucky thing for me is that 22. Mag isn't as expensive as say a .223, or 22-250. So far the CCI Maxi-Mag is working good for me. Its grouping under .5 MOA So I guess all that's left to do is break it in, and find out whether or not my gun likes the cheaper ammo, or the more expensive stuff.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Are you shooting at 50 yards or 100 yards ?

The reason is that it seems that somewhere between 50 and 100yards the quality of the
    bullet will make the difference and at 100+ there will be a big difference .

Even though it shoots well at 50 does not mean that it will at 100yards +.

I used to have good luck with the Winchesters @ 50 but when I tried 100yard groups they
    fell apart. So I tried the Remingtion and Hornady and even though they did not shoot any
    better at 50 yards they were noticeably better @ 100 yards and beyond.

They appeared to shoot almost as good a group @ 100 yards as the best group @ 50 yards.

I have had the same experience with the 17 HMR .

I use the best ammo that I can find(Not the most expensive) for hunting and the cheep stuff
    for plinking.

J E CUSTOM

5. RagingNinja

RagingNinja Member

I'm shooting at 100yds. I'm hoping with the right ammunition I can get at least out to 200yds with under an inch grouping. But like I said earlier, I know a few people where there guns like either the cheaper stuff, or the more expensive stuff. Could just be one of those flukes. Thanks.

6. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

I'll take 1/2" groups at 100 yds any day. I've never had a rimfire rifle that would do that.

Good hunting, Tom

7. RagingNinja

RagingNinja Member

Hmm... ok. So we were shooting the other day at 330yds. My brother hit it 3 times with his 22. LR out of 10rds. I hit it 5/5. The problem was since we were aiming above the target, it was hard to group since we didn't have a specific point to aim at.

8. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I would try to get the best groups possible at 100 yards and then try at 300+ to see how they
    do.

At those distances (300+ yards) every thing comes into play. (Wind,mirage,position,light
    and aiming point).

300 yards with any rim fire is like 600 yards with a center fire (Tough).

J E CUSTOM

9. RagingNinja

RagingNinja Member

Ok, ya I'll try that. We were also thinking of re-loading. Although we don't know how that'd go. We aren't even sure if you can find rim-fire shells with a fresh primer in it, let alone 22. Cal bullets.