Good Accuracy with the 125grn BT

wildcat

Hello all, as many of you know I am having a 300 Varminter built by Richard Franklin. My rifle will be complete in March or April, however, I have been in contact with many owners of the 300 Varminter. I spoke with one of the owners today who did some group testing at 600 yards with the 125grn BT.

He informed me he shot three 5 shot groups at 600 yards, and they measured 1.5". He told me he was shooting in a blowing 5 to 7mph cross wind and the temp was around 60 degrees. He put 6 1/4 MOA for drop and about 2.5 MOA for windage. I must say these are some pretty good groups. He said his velocity was right at 4010fps out of the 30" 1-15 twist Bartlien barrel.

His reloading components consisted of;
Norma 300 WSM Brass
74grns of VV-N550 powder
Federal 215 Match Primers
125grn Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullet

Many 300 Varminter owners are using the 110grn V-Max because it has a better terminal effect on varmints and it can be pushed to around 4200fps. However, I will be using the 125grn BT because it has the higher BC .366, compared to the 110grn V-Max, and it is devesating on varmints too.

He also told me he had a great ground hog season last year with this rifle. He said the 300 Varminter is buy far his favorite varmint rifle. He said he had many 1000 yard kills and that the 125grn BT performed well at that range. I am looking forward to getting and shooting this rifle. I know it's not the typical rifle and bullet used on this site. However, for serious varmint hunters who love speed and red mist, it sure is interesting.

I know many of you don't care about the specs of my rifle, however, for those who would like to know about them, here they are;

1. 300 WSM .337 Tight Neck Match Chamber for 300 WSM Norma Brass.
2. Nesika Model K, 1.470 Diameter Action.
3. Richards Model #8 Stock with 4 pounds lead added to rear.
4. Bartlien 30", 1.250 Diameter, 1-15 Twist Barrel.
5. Jewel 2oz Trigger.
6. Vias Muzzle Brake.
7. Nesika 20 MOA Rail.
8. Nightforce 30mm Rings
9. Nightforce NXS 8x32x56mm with MLR reticle.
10. Rilfe will weigh 24 pounds with scope

I am having the rifle built for long range coyote and varmint hunting out to 800 yards.

Also, if you are interested in the rifle and want to know how the 300 WSM is able to obtain this type of velocity and accuracy, please, look at Richard's Custom Rilfes web page. He specializes in high velocity varmint rifles. He is also a great gunsmith to work with.

W.

Last edited:
1.5moa

Hi is it 1.5moa or 1.5" if it is 1.5moa at 600yards that is just under 10"

if so I would call it rather ordanary

Just a Question

Cheers Bill

Wow, that is good accuracy. 1.5 inches is great at that range. I have one of Richard Franklins varmint videos, and during the video he demostrates how accurate the 300 Varminter is with the 125grn BT at 800 yards. I believe in that video he shot a 3 shot group into a 2.5 inch pattern at 800 yards.

I have been thinking about building a 7MM WSM around a slow twist barrel like your doing. I would like to shoot the 120grn BT out of this rifle. The 120grn BT has a BC of .417. If I push it at 4000fps like your varminter, it would be even flatter than the 300 Varminter. Has Richard tried this combo?

PP44

P44, Richard has tried many combos. However, he told me the 300 Varminter is performing extreamly well. He said the Norma 300 WSM Cartridge and Bartlien barrel seem to be the reason for it's success.

W.

I don't understand how he is getting that much velocity out of a 300WSM. Even with the 30" tube and a slow twist barrel....that seems awefully generous. I know that I run the same bullet out of my 28" 300 ultra at 3960 and it's a max load. I'm not trying to knock it.....I just don't see how that much velocity is possible out of a 300WSM.

ROCK500, It is doing it with ease. It has alot to do with the 30" 1-15 twist Bartlien Barrel and 75grns of VV-N550 Powder. The 300 Varminter not only pushes the 125grn BT at 4000+fps, it does it with excellent accuracy.

Go to his web page Richard's Custom Rifles. There is also an excellent article on 6mmBR.com called "Franklins 4000 FPS 30-Cal Varminter Is A Hit With Hunters" I have talked to many owners of the 300 Varminter, and they are all reporting velocities over 4000fps with excellent accuracy. Read the article on 6mmBR.com and view his web page. Richard himself will explain how it's done. It's a specialized rifle for the pupose of varmint hunting with high velocity poly tipped bullets.

W.

Thanks Kirby, I am just trying to inform those who might be interested in a rifle like this. I am just reporting the info from the guys who are using this set up. It seems to be performing very well out to 800 yards with this bullet.

I am going to make my 300 Varminter into a switch barrel set up, so when I shoot past 1000 yards, I can switch over to using a Krieger 30", 1-11 twist barrel using the 208grn A-Max. This will save me a little money down the road.

Anyhow, It sounds like your 375 Allen Mag is performing well. Look forward to hearing more about it.

W.

I look forward to see how the 300 varminter works out for you....and what velocities you are getting. If indeed the magic is in the 30" slow twist bartlein barrel, I might try to chamber one of these in 300 RUM....that should be good for 4200fps??

ROCK500,

Richard Franklin has tried this combo with the larger .30 cal cartridges, and they do not work like the 300 Varminter. Richard's friend was using a 7MM RUM with a 30" slow twist barrel with a 100grn bullets and he could only get it to around 4000fp. Richard's friend decided to go with the 300 Varminter because of it's overall performance. It is interesting on how some of this stuff works.

W.

All I know about the 125 BT is out of my 308 and my 30X47HBR at around 2900 to 3000 fps out to 300 yards, and that is as far as I have had a shot so far, it kills deer like a bolt of lightening. It is super accurate in my rifles, on par with any match bullet.

RT2506, that's why I am going to use the 125grn BT. I am using this bullet for large and small varmits. I am going to try the 110grn V-Max too, however, the 125grn BT is performing very well out of the 300 Varminter and the Bartlien 1-15 twist barrel.

W.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.