Gong steel failure

EXPRESS

Today I tried some gongs I made up out of some old steel, about 28mm thick.

I thought that the thickness of it would help it to stand up to gunshots, but after shooting at them from 200m with .308 win and 6PPC I found they pock badly. Very badly. If one spot is going to get hit a half dozen times, it would probably bust through.

The steel was rusty and had been lying a a yard for years, I got it cheap so that's just as well.

Back to the drawing board. I can't find a source for any more suitable steel here in Italy.

What are some alternatives; I have heard that man hole covers work well, but they are made from cast iron here. To the best of my limited knowledge, cast would break apart after some shooting, wouldn't it?

I am also thinking about cutting up an old dozer blade, that should be pretty hard steel.

We don't shoot our steel closer than 400-500 yards. At 400 yards then the 308 will slightly dent the plates but at 500+ yards then it doesn't.

Jerry I am in Tuscany, not far from Siena. If you know the area any better, I am 15 minutes from San Galgano, where the sword in the stone is found.

I think that the range in the problem, I have another gong which is only 10mm thick and it hardly marks at 600m so I will just paint the back of these ones and moove them back to the 600m line.

Express, accept for the need to rebuild your gongs every now and then, I would stick with the steel you have. It is cheap and readily available. In Italy, what more can you ask for?

Trying to find armour plate would be difficult and very expensive.

I shoot my mild steel plates at longer ranges but even then, get some very large dents. I figure for the savings on the mild steel, I can afford a couple of welding sticks and a bit of time.

If you use, very hard material, there is a concern of shattering the gong and the resulting shrapnel flying around. Around where I live, the concern of sparking a fire is also present.

Anyways, good luck with your quest. Which part of Italy are you in? My wife comes from Tuscany and I certainly love the region.

Jerry

Express, my wife's family lives near Lucca and on the coast. A very nice place indeed.

I did travel down to Sienna but wasn't during the races. Still a great journey.

I am glad that shooting is still a possibility as I never met anyone there who did any rec. shooting at all.

Good luck with your gongs.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts