Going to montana

haynie85

So im heding to montana on april 11th, heres the deal were shooting prairie dogs, and im building a varmint gun.
I bought a remington 700 sps varmint in 22-250. Right off the bat Im bedding the rifle and free floating the barrel and adjusting the trigger to as light as i can get it with the new triggers and 3 set screws rem's new guns are comng out with. If the trigger doesnt work out i plan on getting a new trigger. (havent decided who)
Im having it target crowned, and im mounting a leupold var3 6.5-20x40mm scope on it with burris mounts and leuopld quick release mounts. I will start working a load for it, i have rcbs press and a old lee press etc etc etc. Hopefully well get this gun working right.
I do plan on getting rid of the stock, and getting a B&C, but you know i wanna give it a shot before i thow in that kinda money, since the stock is hollow i plan on weighing that down with some led and fill it in with epoxy, give it more weight and balance it out

This will be my first rem 700 action, i have exp. with 22-250 bbr from browning and man that gun performs( currently being rebarreled). Im wondering how everyone feels with the potential of the barrel which is heavy contour i think.820 and 26inch in length at the muzzle and twist is 14", and the 700 action. I know theyre mass production and all that, but man i read and hear decent things from them, can i get your guys' take on it im sure theres welth on top of wealth of expiereince here.
Seems the cup runneth over here.

I wonder why you want quick release rings/mounts on a varmint rifle. It is best to get everything bolted down as well as possible.

I'd skip the lead. I'd fill the whole thing with epoxy, and bed arrow shafts or steel rod in the forend. Sounds like you're on the right track. She should shoot.

buffalobob: you know your right...
Should i get the action trued right away? I never had a gun trued before. This is where they trim the bolt and make it as perfect a fit to the chamber as possible correct?
This i imagine would seat the bullet more consistently in the same spot right? Which i imagaine has alot to do with accuracy.... probably a must to do then, geez i pretty much just reasoned myself into asnwering my own question didint I?
This is my first project long gun... so bare with me fellahs, i just always wanted to get into long range shooting ive always had the most repect for a good group and consistency, i wanna be able to shoot 1/2" moa or better. I shoot regulary and have been for quite some time, i think im capable with some more practice and the right eq.

so how important and relavent is it to get the action trued?
i dont see why i should get a new barrel for it and go thru that at first this barrel ought to perform right? Im having it target crowned, so you think the stock barrel would be good for 1/2" moa maybe better?

I would hold off on even the crown until you bed the action, tune the trigger, and do some load development to see what you have to start with.

I would not true the action until ready to replace the barrel. The majority of a rifles accuracy comes from the barrel. Trueing the action without a custom barrel would be akin to dirty drawyers under fresh britches.

It is possible the rifle will shoot 1/2 moa without further work. I have a few factory rigs set up with good bedding in quality stocks, tuned triggers, and loads developed for them. One of them is an honest, consistent 1/2 moa shooter. 3/4 moa is much more realistic. Still, you won't know until you try. You can do a lot with load work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.