going to give a 222 rem load a try

garrett'sdad

i have bought a new 700 adl remington in 222rem and can someone tell me how a 55 gr works in a 222 and im sure its 1 in 14 cause its a plain jane 222 rem 700 - this is the only gr bullet i have in 22 but if suggested i will get some smaller 22 - i am going to try two loads with it to start with unless you say the 55 are too long - i am using factory winchester brass and winchester primers - first powder and load will be 748 with 24 gr and the nosler 55 bt and the second will be h322 - 22 gr with same 55 gr noslers - i will try these unless told otherwise and if you think i should give benchrest primers a try i will or if i should change my powder amounts - really any suggestions would be great especially if you are shooting a 700 - i am getting my info out of noslers latest book and that h 322 was the most accurate tried in the book if that means anything - thanks

Hi Garretsdad,
the load that worked for me in my Model 70 HV consisted of a JLK 55grn flat base bullet driven by a 21.5grn of H322 sparked by a Fed.205M primer.
This was loaded into prepared Norma cases with the bullet seated to just engrave the rifling.
An average group size of .448" was attained for 5 five shot groups.
Seating the bullet 010" off the lands resulted in the best group of .251".
A change to Vit 133 did nothing to improve group size, infact groups averaged slightly larger.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Have an older REM 222 a Mod 722 (Pre 700). It had a pretty hard life before I got it. Also it has a 26" bbl so may not be a good comparison with yours.

I usually shoot the lighter bullets as I am a bit of a velocity hog.

Your H322 load should be a good one.

H335 has proven to be a good powder also 4198.

Its a super caliber, you should have some fun with it.

garrett's dad,
this is just my opinion so you might disagree but I love big heavy bullets with hi B.C. #'s (300gr MK's in my 338 Lapua mag imp.),but in my Remington 40x .222rem I go exactly the opposite for one reason FUN FACTOR. with 40grainer's you can blow critter's up and in my rifle shoot much better than 55's. the load I am currently using is a Lapua case ,win primer,40gr BT bullet with 23gr N130 powder. this load shoots at3593 av. vel. through my Oehler chrono and will shoot sub .25 moa all day long. on the other hand 55gr bullets just poke holes in critters with out much fan fare at 500fps slower.
You mentioned h322 as a powder to try and it works well in all bullet weight's for a .222 , Win748 seems to be a bit slow for this round but will still work. N130,N133,RL7 and benchmark gave best velocity and accuracy in my gun. I'm not saying to forget 55's but dont forget about trying 40's.
Have fun,B

I have an older rem 700 adl 222 as well. I also like velocity especially out of a 222, not fast anyways, but I like the 40g or 50g's. I have never ever seen a reason to switch from IMR-4198 powder in my rifle. It gives me top velocity with what I'm assuming top accuracy as well. I have shot groups in the .1 and many many under .25" with the 40g vmax and ballistic tip with a max load of 4198, win case, and cci small primer. Velocity is right at 3500fps. Also, the 40g barnes VLC burners shoot excellent under .25" and they also shoot 200fps faster according to my chronograph, ripping along at 3700fps. Again, with 4198. When I went to Montana recently, I wanted to work up a load with a heavier bullet. So I tried the 50g vmax moly coat. I had them for my swift so I figure I would try them. The 2nd load I tried put 3 shots into literally 1 hole. My smallest group ever, something like .090". Again with IMR-4198. I have also worked up an accurate load with the 52g SMK but that bullet was a bugger to get to shoot. However, finally did it with IMR-4198 and groups under .25" I love my little .222 it is way more accurate than my swift, but it has its place.

I'll go with BrianB
Stick a 40 BT or 40 V-Max in it and pack it with H-4198 and watch the pieces fly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifMy litle Sako barrel gets 3600fps

[ QUOTE ]
I'll go with BrianB
Stick a 40 BT or 40 V-Max in it and pack it with H-4198 and watch the pieces fly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifMy litle Sako barrel gets 3600fps

[/ QUOTE ]
I use the same bullets and powder in my 700 222!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.