Going elk hunting this weekend

huntinfool18

got a tag for the privte land only tag in nothern colorado. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif goes till the end of january. i have been waiting for some snow to push the elk out of the high contry but we havent gotten much yet, good thing is last weekend i took a drive out there and found a herd of about 300 so im going to see what is going to happen this weekend. cant decide what gun to take, my new custom 25 WSSM or 300 win sendero. i think i will take both, 25 for the closer shots and 300 for the longer ones. huntinfool18

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take the 300 win, it'll kill them just as dead at close range!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1!

[/ QUOTE ]

+2

JD338

110 gr accubonds at about 3100. not anywhere near a max load yet.i just built this rifle on thursday and took it out to sight in yesterday, frist group at 100yd was .3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. im pretty happy with it so far. huntinfool18

will left the house abot 7:45 this moring and got to the mountain about 8:30. had my elk down and loaded in the truck at 9:39. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif thats the way i like it. i went agansit everyone advice and took the 25 wssm. one shot from 135 yards and she was done. i will post pics on monday when i get to a better computer.

P1010030.jpg

shot was quartering to hit just in front of the shoulder and bullet stoped in off side shoulder taking out both lungs and top off heart. i was pretty pleased with the way the accubond preformed. entry hole was about the size of a 50 cent piece with no exit hole, not alot of meat damage, but kind of expected that from such a small bullet and such a big animal. makes for a good round if shot placment is right and within range.
gun used was one i built myself:
25 wssm
26" shilin match grade bbl
blue printed remington 700 short action with sako extrator
HS sendero style stock
leupold 6-18X40 vx-II
110 gr accubond, 43 gr imr 4350 at about 3100 fps
P1010026.jpg
huntinfool18

Huntinfool18 ,

Good job and thanks for the pictures!
Let us know how the accubond 110gr did please ,i have some loaded for a 25-06.-----Mike

Edited to say how about a few details about the 25wssm!!!???

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.