LVJ76

My nephew/godson joined our family hunting party a few years ago and decided to give it a try at deer last year but we ended with some left over tags in an area we don't hunt much, we saw a couple pf good bucks bit they never gave him a clear shot so we tried again this year.

This year we applied for Coues Deer in Southern AZ hoping to find him a decent buck. We got him shooting one of my 7mm-08's and the rifle fitted him well and he shot pretty good of then bench, sitting with sticks and off hand.

Opening day was a little warm in the high 70's and winds from 15 to 25 mph. My brother took him out and set him up to glass an area where we've seen deer every thie we hunt that area.

This wide hill gives you shots from 150m to 800m, it's always shaded which makes it hard to see the gray ghost especially in the morning with the sun in your face. After a while saw 3 bucks, a doe and a fawn together, but it took a while for the sun to let us see how big they were, once the bigger one was identified had to wait for the right shot angle.

By now the buck fever is sky high, all this time waiting made him nervous, he settles down and the shot goes off, deer is at 254m, shoulder hit, still took a few steps with both shoulders blown but down he went. Then the celebration begins, got his first deer and its a nice mature buck. Man, the smile on his face, priceless.

Next year another godson will get his shot at his first deer.

2019-10-28_08.19.31.jpg

...Then the celebration begins, got his first deer and its a nice mature buck. Man, the smile on his face, priceless.

Next year another godson will get his shot at his first deer.
Nice! That's bigger than the biggest whitetail I've shot in my area. Slim pickings, small area, and high pressure. When I'm bragging about my bucks, I tell people, they're almost as small and rare as Coues.

That bad boy would be a hoss here, and from what I know (little) about Coues, I'm guessing he's at least double the age of the 4x4's we have.

Well done, and good luck next year.

Thanks all. It was lots of fun and a nice memory.

That size coues is pretty good. A lot of small deer get taken every year so we dont see many of these in public land. This one was probably about 5 yrs old.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.