Glass for .300wsm Long Range hunting

demo9pro

Hey all,

Well, Im new to Long Range hunting!

I only just got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless chambered in
.300wsm.

I want to set it up to a long range hunting rifle, and im just looking
at getting some glass for it now.

I want to shoot between 200-600 yards with it. What type of glass do you guys recommend? I can spend up to about $750. I have VX-III's on all my hunting rifles with the standard Duplex reticle.

I will also be getting a range Finder, so if you can help a newby LR hunter, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

P.S, I was looking at a VX-III in 6.5-20x50 LR with Varmint Hunter reticle.

Anything you have to suggest I will listen! thanks! :)

Let me get this straight-You bought a Tika Lite model for a long range rifle?????? I had a cousin buy a Tika T3 Lite in a 300 Winchest, that gun was like a BB gun. The recoil was down right painfull. My father in law and I tried to get the thing sighted in for my cousin, shooting off the bench I had a hard time hitting the target, yet we were hitting targets at 600 yards with my Sendero rigfe and my father in law's Savage. It might be a good gun for quick off hand shots but it is far from a long range rifle. My advice, do some research on here about good long range rifles and go get one. I read something the other day about a Tactical rifle that Tika introduced, something like that is what you need. Thats my $.02 worth.

I have a Burris Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44mm with the Ballistic Plex on my 270wsm. Sighted in at 200yds. and has marks up to 600yds. Natchez Shooters Supplies they are going for around $465.00. This scope has treated me pretty well.

demo9pro, I don't think all is lost with your lightweight rig. You'll have more recoil, and probably wont be as accurate way out there compared to a heavier rig, but you should end up with a good shooting moderate range rifle. If the recoil is too much, put a muzzle brake on it. You mentioned you want to shoot between 200-600 yards with it, you should have no problem with this.

As far as glass, I went with the Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x40 long range. It has the 30mm main tube and the B&C reticle along with the side focus/paralax adjustment. This will give hold over points for many ranges and I will be able to add adjustable turrets later and have a fair amount of elevation and windage adjustment. The lower magnification is also nice for those closer shots you will encounter. Good luck, you'll do fine with that rifle.

welcome to the site!
+1 on being ok with a lightweight rifle. I don't have much experience with the Tikkas, but if you do some work to it (moman brings up a good point with the brake) i'm sure you can have a fine shooting rifle, with no problems out to 600 yards or a little more. Backcountry is right in the fact that a heavier rifle is usually inherently more accurate, but it's not a requirement by any means. As far as glass i use a Leupold 4.5-14x56 VXL with a dial on mine and really like it. The VXIII should handle the job just fine. As you become more proficient (and more addicted) you might want to upgrade to one of the higher dollar scopes, but the Loopy will definitely get you there for now IMO. Good luck,

Kevin

I have two Tikka T3 lites - 270 wsm's that shoot great at 1000 yrds

I don't think the recoil is bad at all. I doubt that the 300 wsm's are that much different. I've never shot an animal at long range with them but have beat up a gong at 1000 yards. Both shoot factory ammo, Winchester 130gr Ballistic Silver tips, and Remington 150gr Accutips, very very well. I get 1/2" @ 100 from the new one and 1/4" @100 from the older one... and I'm shaky. I know a better shooter could tighten the groups.

The one I use for long range shots has a Bushnell yardage pro on it. It's 4-12 power with a laser range finder built in. On a bipod, it ranges out to just over 800 yards.

It works just like the Burris in this video only better:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f73/burris-ballistic-plex-laser-scope-action-video-28423/

I think it's better because, unlike the Burris, it comes with several replacement turrets to use to match your bullets ballistics. There's also a blank turret so you can make a custom drop if the other turrets don't match what you're shooting. The turret I use maxes out at 600 yards. On longer shots, I use the mil-dots and JBM ballistic calculator to get the drop. This combo is very accurate. Push the button, turn the dial, shoot. The only downfall is it's ugly. But hey... ugly scopes need lovin' too. Plus... I'll never forget my rangefinder. One last thing... the additional turrets are for elevation only. I use the mil-dots for windage. I suppose you could rig the blank turret to work your windage if you really wanted to.

They are on sale at Cabelas right now for 699.99. If you go this route... don't forget to use Len's "shop Cabelas" link above. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.