glass bedding

[ QUOTE ]
great post jim i have one more question the barrle channel is pretty uneven about a wavy 1/16 0n one side and about 3/32 on the other so i will bed it when i bed the action the guestion is do bed the lug all the way around or do i allow a little room in the the front of the lug with a few layer's of tape ?

Tkanks Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys. Jim, I can't give you a better answer than Roy did.

That being said though, I would recommend putting a couple of layers of scotch tape or slather on a couple more coats of release agent on the front of the lug.

I have run into a couple of lugs that were thicker at the bottom than they were near the action and they can be stubborn to get apart and get back together.

Jim

i just want to say thank's to all of the great advice and picture's on this project. im going to bed it the morning i picked up a boyd's stock Ross thumbhole i decided to use instead of the Mule deer stock with a 22in. SS barrle it just look's better to me. ill use the Mule Deer stock on a model 110 in 300 winmag when i get back from the the wisconsin deer hunting trip in november !!

ill post some picture's of this stock and the bedding job when i get it done. again many thank's to all you guy's

regard's Jim

well i just popped the barrle out of the stock! it came out real easy alot better than i thought it would to me looks about as perfect as you can get no voids pinhole's all i did was rock it little and pull straight out and it was free one thing is i did get a little compound in the magazine well nothing a dremel can't fix thanks to you all for the great adise

Jim

update i just talked to my son on the stock i bedded useing the advise i got from you guys i used my action and bedded a boyds ross thumbhole laminate stock. i mailed it to him!! i live in southern california he is stationed at the airforce acadamy in colorado springs.

i told him he would most likely need to skim bed he said he would shoot it first and if it shot over 1 1/2 in. he would skim bed it . hes going second rifle for elk and was strapped for time well!! he shot it today and with factory federal premium nosler partion he getting 5/8 of and inch 3 shot groups. with the old tupperware stock it was about 1 1/2 in.

cant ask for any better than that thanks for all your help

Jim

Old post, but I am about to bed my Savage. Do I just bed around the recoil lug like Waltech did? How do I make sure my tang is floated? I'm scared to bed a gun for the first time! What about the front action screw, and do I need to open up the recoil lug slot to allow bedding compound to fit in?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.