Gippy Deer stalkers 1st time practice day!

Topshot

Herb and I went out and gave Herb's new .338 Edge its try at Long range field target shooting.

We simply loaded up some new Remington brass with 91 grains of AR2217 behind the 300 grain SMK and went shooting.

Herb stoaked with the initial performance of this rifle. On a gusty windy day, the first couple of three shot groups had a verticle component of just 2.5 inches at 820 yards.

We then tried it at 1137 yards and found it accurate but the trajectory needed some more work to validate it better. That just means some more fun for next time.

I offered Herb a straight swap for my .338 Edge but he would not be in it. Bugger!

mypic61.jpg

Nice looking rig Herbie !

Whats been happening TS ? Have you burn't that first barrel out yet on the big gun mate ?

Herbs cannon looks like its got some potential hey !

DUH

Herb's rifle is sweet. Shoots better that mine ever did. Be interesting to see how it shoots on a dead still morning under perfect conditions.

Mine has had quite a few shots down the tube now. Still, my rifle will get the job done if I do my part. Can't ever blame the rifle in this game.

Had another barrel on order now for almost 12 months. If it ever turns up it will be put to good use.

Nice work boys sounds like some high country sambar in some real trouble this season.

Took mine to the range on Sunday just to check zero at 200 and alls good.

Norm , two top quality barrels have been orderd for you 1 from Lawtons and 1 from Benchmark. Which ever gets her first can be yours..

I was talking to W/Bill and he states I have a 9.4 twist 8 grove barrel . I thought I ordered a 10 twist not that I care if it keeps shooting like this. Maybe they did me a big favour in selecting that twist rate. It shoots 250gn's just as well. That Lawton sure does shoot... I think on a good day I could possibly get them all close into or in the white centre at 820 yards. You never know HA HA I have never seen a factory rifle shoot this well and boy I am glad I waited that long for the barrell!

Herb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.