Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Thanks for the reply Mr. Stecker. I am able to shoot various distances at my club range which goes out to 600 yds. Where I hunt, I need to be consistant to 400 yards and this site has got me on my way to that goal.

First of all...Thank You Berger (all of you)...great bullets, great service!

I've had a box of 175 grain Hunting VLD's for over a year...just never got around to serious load work up with them until last week. I had already checked to see how warm I could go...came up with 58.5 grains of H4350 with the bullet seated at 3.36" OAL...thats a good bit warmer than the QuickLoad data Berger sent me, but shows no signs of excessive pressure...velocity is 2,775 fps (@ 10')...this is a 30-06 by the way (new Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow, 24" barrel)

I could go a bit longer if I really needed to but as best I can tell they are kissing the lands at 3.36"...below is the result...I didn't even have to turn a turret, the gun was sighted in for whatever factory ammo I used last year (forget now what it was)

.442" @ 100 yards...could likely be a bit better, my rest isn't exactly rock solid...the rifle has shot 168 Ballistic Tips into .3" from a better rest...this is just a plain Jane over the counter rifle...for now...I am waiting on a McMillan stock for it, should be here soon.
photobucket-3154-1349794648260.jpg

P.S. I checked for land contact by putting a VLD into a fired case (dented mouth) and closing the bolt. The marks from the lands were clearly visible (big wide lands, 4 groove barrel), I measured the OAL, pulled the bullet, measured the marks on the bullet...then subtracted that from the OAL...loaded them at 3.36" and PRESTO!

Last edited:
Got my signed copy of Berger's Bullets Reloading Manual... A few years back I also purchased a signed copy of Applied Ballistic as well. Is the first 3000 copies of the Second Edition being signed as well? Lol

Got a chance to read a few random pages... Love the use of the term "Cartridge Base To Ogive" (CBTO) - first time hearing that. If I understood correctly Bryan uses COAL to measure the distance from cartridge base to tip, which is important for those of us who use mags and CBTO is self-explanatory

I have always had a hard time distinguishing between OAL and COAL.

No Reloading Data on .338 - 300/250 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical bullets...? Ouchhh

We decide to hold off on the 338 cal data until we could do more work with this caliber. As we develop load data for cases that are not in the manual and for new bullets we will put this new data into a "Loading Data" page on our website.

These new loads will also eventually end up in a 2nd addition of the manual but we won't even start thinking about a 2nd addition for several years.

Regards,
Eric

When was there a reloading Manuel made. I email for help on reloading for a 300 win a few years ago and never heard back. I saw then they were working on one but stopped looking after no one responded. Recently I started playing with Bergers again and after this article got all rounds touching from 2 guns first expermintal loads. Since then I have gotten excellent customer service replies back regarding deformed meplats. Anyway how do I get the manual is it on your site

When was there a reloading Manuel made. I email for help on reloading for a 300 win a few years ago and never heard back. I saw then they were working on one but stopped looking after no one responded. Recently I started playing with Bergers again and after this article got all rounds touching from 2 guns first expermintal loads. Since then I have gotten excellent customer service replies back regarding deformed meplats. Anyway how do I get the manual is it on your site

@ Thumper1991...

The manual is on their site.., but I'm sure by now you already ordered it... I'm still new to all this reloading stuff, but I'm reading as much as possible... You got to love this stuff....

Last edited:
I have cartridges loaded up for three different rifles (.257 Wby, .270 Win, .300 Win Mag) according to the instruction given. Before I get to go out and shoot these I have one question:

When firing each three shot group am I supposed to shoot the three as quickly as I can, or am I to wait several minutes between shots to allow cooling of the barrel?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

300winnie

Last edited:
You should never fire those cartridges as quickly as you can, as you'll soon be spittin rifling out the muzzle! I'd give them at least a minute shot rate in testing.

Thanks,

That was what I was thinking...in fact my thought was to fire one round out of each gun and start over with the first. By the time I change guns, acquire the sight picture and squeeze the round off on three different guns I'm thinking that will give them ample time to cool between shots. Then give it 5 or 10 minutes between groups to let all three cool back down some.

It has been really hot here this summer, so I may need to help the cooling process between groups with some rubbing alcohol on the barrels.

We decide to hold off on the 338 cal data until we could do more work with this caliber. As we develop load data for cases that are not in the manual and for new bullets we will put this new data into a "Loading Data" page on our website.

These new loads will also eventually end up in a 2nd addition of the manual but we won't even start thinking about a 2nd addition for several years.

Regards,
Eric

I am trying to use 250gr hybrid hunting bullets in my 338 Lapua mag., Savage LRH model 111
trouble i am seeing is magazine length COL of 3.753" leaves me with a .135" jump. Does it make any sense to seat any deeper and do I use the same .040" difference on test rounds ? or try seating closer to rifling thus making it a single shot ?