Getting started

Smilin Rich

Hey guys. Like the title says I'm just getting started with long range shooting. I'm starting off with what I've got. I have a Remington model 700 30/06, and was wondering what kind of distance I could hope to reach and what type of ammo I should use with this rifle.

Well, that's quite a ways from TN but maybe I can help. The best gun for you to shoot is the one you have, I guess. Your 30-06 is halfway between the 308 Win. And the 300 Win. Mag., both of which are both accurate rounds. So with the right reloads or good factory loads there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use it for long range shooting. The Remington 700 is probably the most used action for accurate rifles so it should also be fine as a starter gun. I'd start out with a good match bullet in the 165-180 grain area, preferably a match bullet of some sort. The selections are almost endless. Just dig into this site and keep reading. Everything you need to know is here, you just have to blow away the chaff.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.