Getting Started With My 270

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by C. Smith, Dec 28, 2011.

1. C. Smith

C. Smith Member

First off, this is a great website. I am just getting started in the long range game. For now, to me long range is going to be anything between 200 and 600 yards. If I can work my way out to there it will be a nice milestone. I am in central Texas and so I mostly hunt whitetail and hogs.
    I have been looking into getting new rifle but I have a 6 month old boy so I will work with what I have for now. About 12 years ago my dad gave me a Sako 75 in 270. Last year I had it accurized at hill country rifle and they got it shooting about ¾ MOA with factory ammo. I’ve got a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 on order to replace the Nikon buckmaster that is on it now.
    So now for my questions:
    I am going to start reloading with a friend who is set up. The rifle currently shoots the hornady 130 grain very well but I was wandering what options there are for different types of bullets that yall have had success with. I am looking for a higher BC.
    Also, what kind of rings do I need to use to mount the scope? The buckmaster is a 40 mm and has very little clearance. I know I will need taller rings but do I need to go with any type of rail so pick the front of the scope up? I think the rings on there now are leupold.

2. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

I'm shooting the 150 Berger VLDs in one of my 270s and it shot a .137" at 100 and a .460" at 200 yards.

Talk to a smith about which new mounting hardware you need. There are lots of good ones. May have to send a PM to one here.

The 140 accubond shot really well in the same rifle with H4831SC AND H1000.

I have changed from Federal 210M primers to 215M in this 270.

3. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

You might want to try Hodgdon H1000 and 150 Hornady SST. You should get a 20MOA rail for when you start walking it out to 1000yds. Probably need medium rings.

4. C. Smith

C. Smith Member

What kind of distance do you think I could get out to without a rail and just use scope rings? By just doing a quick search, rails for sako 75's are not easy to come by. If a rail is a must have then i will add that later when I progress.

Thanks for the replies. Have a happy New Year!

Cody

5. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

You should easily be able to get your goal of 600 yards without a 20 MOA rail. My 270 loved the 140 grain SST in front of a heavy dose of RL 22. It shot them lights out to 300 yards on the range, but I honestly never shot it past that before I sold the gun.

If I were you I'd look at the 140 or 150 grain Berger, the 140 or 150 grain Hornady SST or even the Interbond or Nosler Accubond if you want a tougher bullet. Good luck getting everything set up.