Getting Started -- $4,200 Budget, Western NY

IMG_1343.jpg

kind of a crappy picture but I put this one together for under 2k. I was able to have most of the machining done cheap but even at a smith I dont see it costing much more.
savage short action large shank
9 twist Kreiger #5.5 fluted finished at 26.5"
Bell and Carlson Medalist
9-13 harris
4-16 monarch mil-dot

shoots very well. 3/4" at 300 is not uncommon wight as it sits is just over 11 pounds

I think he is looking for a more static position rifle. I spoke with him of line as he lives about 20 min from me. He has another rifle a rem 700 that is his woods gun. Heck most countys here were he and I are at are still shotgun. I think he is looking fo a rolling hills, powerline type rig. I think he said his gandparents live in PA.

Well then by all means, a heavy is the right choice. Would be for me if that's the case anyway. :D

Tyler: Wow, that's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Definitely gives me a few ideas.

Sendit208: Heavy is what I'm looking for. I don't want a 20 lb .50BMG but I don't need it to be a 5lb featherweight. I'm used to carrying my M16 with all of it's attachments for hours so having something around the 11lb area would feel almost normal.

What was your plan on feeding this, factory or handloads. Some of your budget could get you set up to load and be cheaper to shoot down the road

Tyler: Wow, that's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Definitely gives me a few ideas.

Sendit208: Heavy is what I'm looking for. I don't want a 20 lb .50BMG but I don't need it to be a 5lb featherweight. I'm used to carrying my M16 with all of it's attachments for hours so having something around the 11lb area would feel almost normal.

Well, lots of options in that weight range then. The agony of the decision and build process is almost the best part! What ever you decide on, treat yourself...you deserve it!

I'm a little new on here but here's my recommendation.

I have several pure custom rifles that shoot under 1/2 minute easy, with factory ammunition.

Rarely however, will they out shoot my Browning rifles by much.

Browning makes the finest out of the box rifles bar none and they shoot as good as Savages out of the box. The deiference is that every component of the Browning is top shelf, built to last Savages are cheaply built accurate rifle. For $300 more buy Browning and get the BOSS system, you're looking at the most $1,100. Then buy a nightforce scope and you beat your budget and will outshoot most people. Remember you are behind the rifle that is where the ultimate in accuracy comes from.

Go with 300 Win Mag, it will do everything and more than you need, forever. Ammunition is in every gun shop in the USA, the Military uses it and it has excellent range and killing power.

Good Luck.

I'm of the savage school, and you can definitly put together the gun you want and have money for a quality rangefinder, binoculars and scope. I have also shot the custom guns, and the 111 I fixed up shoots right there with it for 1/3 of the price.

Start at Gun Center, Harlem road near the 33 in Buffalo.

MOSTLY good knowlegible guys with one of the best selections in WNY...

or Walmart...

Living & hunting in WNY my whole life & having 11 rifles I would go with a 30-06 cal. , shorter barrel then a 308 , plenty knock down power , factory ammo shoots well , easy to get ammo ANYWHERE at a good price. Yeah the weather ... I know I have 2 SS. rifles very nice. I do have a wetheryby Vangard shoots great very accurate & do go to the Buffalo Gun Center as other posts have mentioned , you can't go wrong putting a Leouplod scope on ANY rifle Bright , dependable & good price too. But also look at a Ruger Rifle , they have a All weather model [ just picked one up for a granson ] VERY accurate & american made.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.