Getting my 112BVSS .25-06 dialed in...

verticalTRX

Hey yall, I'm new here, my buddy Ruck on this site sent me this way and I've been reading on here for hours and finally decided to join.

I just recently purchased a Savage 112BVSS (which was a very hard gun to find) in a .25-06, and I set it up with a a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 AO scope, Leupold off-set rings, Burris 2-piece bases, and a Harris 9-13" ultra-light bipod. I'm hoping it will be a good shooting groundhog gun out to 800yds, time will tell.

Now for my questions, I'd like to lighten up the accu-trigger on it a bit, however I've lost the instructions for doing so; I still have the little tool. What is the protocol for doing so?

Also, I was planning on running Burris signature series rings (adjustable MOA), but the action on this rifle is too long for those to work with the bases I have vs. the short tube on the Nikon Monarch. Is there any way I can run the Burris rings on this rifle, i.e. any bases that would bring the mounts close enough to make it work?(I really don't want a one piece base either). Or, am I just going to have to use the setup that's on there (Leupold off-set rings) and shim them to get the MOA that I need?

Thanks for any advice.

You shoudln't need any special rings or bases to get to 800 yards with a 25-06. I have one and all I have is the Leupold standard base, and rings. I have the Leupold 6-18 Target scope on it as well. I have no problems getting to 800 yards with a 200 yard zero. I have never shot farther then 800 yards with my 25-06, but I still had a complete revolution on my dial, so I'm sure it would go to 1000. On another note on my 300 RUM, I have the MK4 4.5-14 and I once again have no special rings or bases. I just slap the scoped on, bore sighted, zeroed at 200 yards and I can get to 1150 yards, and I still have at least a full turn on my dial. I dont believe in special 10 MOA bases, espeically for the price when I haven't found the need for them.

Ok, well good to know. I was wanting the extra MOA ability in case I needed it, but I may not it sounds like. One of my buddies has a 1,000yd range that I'm going to go to this spring, but until then I was just wanting to get the rifle roughly set up to shoot out that far (1,000yds on the range, most varmint hunting under 800yds).

Bullet choice might have something to do with it. I was using the 115g btip with an advertised bc of .453. Decently high bc for a .257" hunting bullet. It works very well to 600 yards on coyotes and deer. I just practiced at 800 to make the 500-600 shots look a lot easier. But once again, I cant see spending $150 on a base when most LR cartridges with .450 BC bulelts or above, will get to 1000 yards with a 200 yard zero. I haven't seen the need for them. NOt anything against the people on here that use them, because a lot of them do, I just dont see why. Thats a lot of money for me, making minimum wage to spend. I first tested to see if it would get me to 800 or 1000 yards. Then when you know it doesn't, then yes, that have a purpose. But for your intended purpose, I dont see any reason why standard bases/rings wont get you to 1000 yards with a flat shooting 25-06 and a good high BC bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.