Getting into the game... first rifle?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by deuce2, Oct 17, 2010.

1. deuce2

deuce2 Member

Hello all!,
    I am an avid hunter and love everything about long range shooting and hunting and the sciences behind it. I am currently a senior in college and am looking to get a rifle.... I am very knowledgeable about long rang slug guns and optics but I am looking to start in the rifle game. So I am looking to find a rifle to shoot varmints and some paper. Im thinking a .223 would be a overall good round and reasonable to shoot and I will be factory ammo shooting, but I want to get everyones suggestions on a rifle of this caliber I just wanna hear everyones suggestions thanks!

BTW Im looking about a $550 dollar gun store price... since I have a FFL dealer in the family so probably looking to get about $100 bucks off sticker price. I am just looking for a good out of box accuracy that I can build on in the future!

Happy Hunting! gun)

2. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

you don't say what state or if you reload. in that price range i would get a REM 700 sps varmint.

3. cowboy717

cowboy717 Well-Known Member

I second the rem 700 sps varmint. I'd get it in 308 though. Good factory ammo available n good caliber to learn LR with

4. deuce2

deuce2 Member

Ya im in Indiana so no big game with a rifle.... and no just factory loads... maybe some day to reload. I do like the 700's they are tried and true.
    Any other suggestions?

5. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

Savage, Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard to name a few. Or just wait for a good used one come up in the classifieds and buy that. I can attest for the addiction of building long range rifles, it is almost as much fun as shooting them. I have seen some really nice full custom rifles go pretty cheap on this site. Sometimes they are mine:D.

Brent

6. deuce2

deuce2 Member

Which savages models are prefered? I know its personal preferance but anyone have a suggestion?

I am more knowledgeable about the 700's with models and features....

Btw any one had any good news with the new savage edges? i know they are a lower priced rifle and dont have an accu-trigger but heard they are shooters out of the box.... a hunting mag I read recently did a review and he got a .223 in the edge to shoot sub moa at 100 out of the box with factory ammo.... somewhere like .6 or .7