Garmin Xero - quick test

Varmint Hunter

Got out to the club for a quick test of the Garmin Xero. It was cold (40 deg) and windy. I barely looked at the instructions but figured that the buttons wouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Contrary to the instructions, which state that the unit should be 5"-15" behind the muzzle, I placed the unit 24" behind the muzzle. Placing it closer to the muzzle would have been difficult because of where/how my front rest is situated on the bench. This placement put the little unit within 12" of my face, so reading the display was easy. Even the smaller font display items were easy to see. It was also easy to reach and manipulate the buttons.

Start-up was easy. The unit was merely pointed down range and turned on. A couple of quick button presses, and I was good to go. I took 3 shots and all registered. I hit "OK" and then looked at the session summary. A few more clicks and I was ready for the next shot string. I launched bullets from a 6mmBR and a 6.5x284 without missing a beat.

Initial impression: The Garmin is a tiny unit that is easy to carry, easy to set-up and works VERY reliably. What's not to like?
Below is what today's set-up looked like. The knob on the front rest leg was partially in the way but it didn't cause any problems at all. The display was brighter than it looks in the picture. My phone had trouble dealing with the bright sun in the background and the darker area under the overhang where the benches sit.

Garmin Xero C1.jpg

Last edited:
I have about 50 rounds with mine from my Paramount Pro Colorado burning BH209. The smoke cloud from the radial brake doesn't phase it one bit. Picked up every shot. Very impressed. It fits in my front pants pocket!